Buying a new mid to high performance laptop

tbarb

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
Hello - and thanks for this help. My Lenovo Thinkpad of 10 years is showing signs of age and I am buying a new one.

1. What is your budget? $900 to $1300 is comfortable.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15.6"

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1920 x. I don't need 4k

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Laptop replacing my Lenovo Thinkpad

5. How much battery life do you need? Not a big factor as 95% of the time it will be plugged in on a desk. I might take the battery out to save it for when I do travel.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? No games. This new laptop will run Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop and will also be used with Tradestation to trade. The Tradestation is heavily reliant on the CPU and will have 100 windows updated on tabs, Photoshop will need a graphics card/memory. So maybe a gaming laptop but I would like it to look business like.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) OK some duplication - photo editing, trading, and other than those just email and browsing.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? I definitely want a SSD, but it can be small just to boot and maybe 20 or so apps. And a HD around 500GB for data storage. I hope to be able to have on apps on the SSD and all data on the HD (photos go to a cloud once edited so don't calc that in.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. I've looked at and have comfort with Micro Center, but I am very sensitive to price more so, so that is not a given. I have had good luck with the Lenovo Think Pad but no graphics cards there, and have heard good things about Asus. But here to I am flexible. having my think Pad last 10 years I have not paid enough attention to what is going on in this industry or market - this inquiry.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? Well, another 10 years would be good. I'll say quality and longevity are next important after the specs I need are achieved.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD RW all I'll do with it is load programs and very occasionally write to a DVD.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Hard to ignore Lenovo I like to reward performance and I loved the keyboard but I don't think they have graphics cards and they are already $2000 for a good I-7, but maybe there is an E series that does? I liked the specs and price of an ASUS TUF FX504 I saw at MicroCenter , and it was on special for $1050 (reg $1300), but that is all I have looked at so far and it was a bit too flashy cosmetically but I could live with it as it seemed to have 95% of what I wanted.

13. What country do you live in? USA - Denver area.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I also saw an MSI GP63 Leapard -3346 at MicroCenter that had similar specs to the ASUS TUF FX 504 mentioned above. I know nothing about MSI or their reputation. I do not want poor build quality or a reputation for problems (who does). Both of these have a lot of plastic I know but at my comfort price I may have to accept it to get the specs I want.
16.6 screen
I-7 8750H 6 Core 2.0 -2.2 is nice
16GB Ram 2000 and up is nice
Graphics GTX 1050 - 1060 or equal is nice

SSD 128 to 250
HD around 250GB to 500GB
Win 10 Pro is best or Home is fine. (Hate bloatware)
I say "is nice" as one item could dip a bit if it had all the others.

Thank you very much for your time and help!

Tom