Buying a proper gaming headset.

Eskimo8

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Hi All,

I'm looking into buying a new gaming headset since my old (Logitech G430) broke a couple of days back when I bumped it off the table. I've checked out a few and I thought I'd get the Sennheiser PC 363D, but then I read some feedback that it has driver issues with Win8 and that the sound card adapter it comes with is not that good.

I'm also thinking of maybe getting a Sennheiser PC 360 or G4ME ONE with a dedicated sound card. I've also checked out the Astro A40/A/50 and the Turtle Beach XPSeven, but I wan't fully convinced as they sound more overall orientated to PC's and consoles.

I will only use this headset for PC. Mainly for gaming, watching videos and listening to music.

I'm willing to dish out some money as this is a long-term investment. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance :pt1cable:

Axedavid201

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
What I recommend doing is getting a mid range headset and then get a decent to low end mic, because the crap that comes with gaming headsets really suck hard...I mean for the price of a high end gaming headset you can get an amazing headset and a decent mic and that'll be MUCH MUCH better than using a standard gaming headset.

robax91

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
Newegg had a great deal on HyperX Cloud headsets (white or black). They were like $60 from $150 normal. I think they can still be around $70 on Newegg and Amazon. For the $100 and under price range you can't get much better, but at the $200 mark you start getting into high quality with trade-offs (like good cans with a mediocre mic) or features like wireless on other headsets.

$60 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826738001&cm_re=hyperx_cloud-_-26-738-001-_-Product
HyperX_Cloud_White_01.jpg

Eskimo8

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Thanks for the responses. I probably should have mentioned that I can't look at stand-alone mics as I'll use this at LAN parties and such. The mic doesn't need to be of the highest quality (as I am aware headset mics are rather mediocre) as long as the people on the same channel can hear clearly when I'm saying.

What is important is:

(In the following order from most important to least important)

Sound quality - Most important
Built Quality
Comfort
Features
Mic Quality

If you guys feel that it isn't worth spending $200+ on a headset and rather settle for a $100 headset, and maybe invest in a better headset once the mics improve because you feel it's not good value for me money, please let me know. I had a Logitech G430 that was suffice for my use, the sound quality wasn't that good, it was just ok, and it fell off a 2ft desk and the ear broke of so Built Quality was also an issue. The mic on that headset seemed suffice though as I'm not doing any recording.