Buying First Gaming Laptop in ~8 Years. Pls help!

Vakinoth

Commendable
May 16, 2016
1. What is your budget?
US $3k-4k

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
17.3-18.4"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1920x1080+

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable - Main gaming computer

5. How much battery life do you need?
Not that important

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes. High. Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch, Diablo 3, StarCraft II, Black Desert, Final Fantasy, Crowfall, Camelot Unchained, etc.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Not much other than gaming.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
1 TB Hard Disk, 256-512 MB SSD

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152983&ignorebbr=1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154101&ignorebbr=1

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Hopefully 3-4 years. My previous laptop lasted 5+ years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Bluray. Won't be used for much.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
(Great) MSI - Heard excellent reviews from friends and sites. Multiple people I know are currently using these laptops and are pleased.
(Good) Asus - Heard good things about these as well. Currently borrowing one from a friend and it works well.

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
This site was recommended by a friend and this is my first time posting. Sorry if I left out any needed information or repeated any FAQs. Thank you for any and all help provided! As I said above, this will be used primarily for gaming and my main source for that. I would like to be able to run games as well as voice chats at the same time. Not sure if it matters, but I play games mostly for the PvP. I don't know much, if anything, about overclocking or the like. It seems that every time I install/update video drivers things go downhill quickly. I prefer to be able to just plug in and go without too much of that. I have a fan/vent cooling peripheral from a previous laptop that I can use. I am currently on Windows 7 but have read a few things on what needs to be disabled to get rid of Windows 10 spying stuff so I think that's the OS I would prefer.

Solution
In your price range it will be very hard to get a bad system. The SLI one is clearly better, if you are OK with the extra money will last longer as far as speed and running games go.

thegreatcaleb

Estimable
Dec 30, 2015

i dont know much about laptops, but you should look into a desktop, for 3k-4k you could get a beastly set up and if you are afraid to build it on your own you can always get a respected pc building company to do it for you,

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016

Having a gaming laptop is so much nicer since you arent bound to one location as you would be with a desktop.

thegreatcaleb

Estimable
Dec 30, 2015

i know i used to have a lapotop, i didnt really consider that with 3-4k laptop you can run pretty much any game

Nikita79

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
Yeah... I will say the MSI Titan as well. With that budget you have, GT80 Ti is really suitable for heavy games!
As I know it has the mechanical backlit keyboard, especially, it has the MXM SLI, which could make your gaming laptop upgradable!! Good choice you have~

You can buy pretty much any laptop for that price for gaming.

To give you an idea check this laptop out:http://www.eurocom.com/ec/configure(2,343,0)ec
That should be able to play all the games that I know of in 1080p.
For a high rig I don't do SLI whereas others do. The reason why I don't is that I have heard that not all games support it or are optimised for it. You could wait for the mobile version of the 1080 and rule the gaming world