Buying new laptop (everyday use, netflix, youtube, word documents)

frankiecomp

Estimable
Oct 28, 2014
1. What is your budget?
around $500 usd

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
doesnt really matter

3. What screen resolution do you want?
doesnt really matter

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
both i guess

5. How much battery life do you need?
a few hours, not terribly important

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
no

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
watching videos, writing essays

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
not much

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
amazon or newegg; doesnt really matter

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
1-2 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
do not need any

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
dont really care

13. What country do you live in?
us

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
i was looking at this
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-F555LA-AB31-15-6-Inch-i3-5010U-Processor/dp/B011KFQASE?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

is there anything i should buy additionally? like a SSD or some more ram? if so which one should i get

thank you!

Solution
That laptop should suffice for your needs.

For "light" usage 4GB of RAM is adequate. More RAM can give a little better performance if Windows starts running out of RAM because you have a lot of programs or an excessive number of internet browser tabs open. More RAM means less data swapping between RAM and the hard drive which can slow down performance.

A SSD can make your laptop feel more responsive since read / write speeds are much higher compared to a standard hard drive (HDD). SSDs are still a bit more expensive than HDDs, but they have come down in price. A 480GB - 500GB SSD probably costs around $120 - $150.

Other than those two components, there is not much else you can upgrade.
That laptop should suffice for your needs.

For "light" usage 4GB of RAM is adequate. More RAM can give a little better performance if Windows starts running out of RAM because you have a lot of programs or an excessive number of internet browser tabs open. More RAM means less data swapping between RAM and the hard drive which can slow down performance.

A SSD can make your laptop feel more responsive since read / write speeds are much higher compared to a standard hard drive (HDD). SSDs are still a bit more expensive than HDDs, but they have come down in price. A 480GB - 500GB SSD probably costs around $120 - $150.

Other than those two components, there is not much else you can upgrade.

Solution