Buying one of these tomorrow, need help! Dell i5-6300HQ (960m 4gb) vs Asus RoG i7 4720HQ (960m 2gb)

odinaden

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i7559-763BLK-Full-HD-GeForce/dp/B015PYYDMQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1453684159&sr=1-1&keywords=960m+laptop&refinements=p_36%3A-80000

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232848

Now generally I'll be streaming Netflix, Youtube, basic surfing and mild gaming. However I do have a Steam account with some larger titles (GTA 5, Killing Floor 2, The Division). I understand getting a gaming laptop under 800 USD is a tiresome chore. I've personally spent the last week reading every thread I can and checking for deals.

The issue I have is that I would like to become an indie dev and am learning (slowly) but steadily and want to make sure my new laptop will be able to perform when I need it too. Turning the settings down on GTA 5 isn't a concern, but not being able to test things in FlashDevelop, Unity, Unreal, etc, would be a deal breaker.

I do have a main PC with an i7-3770 and it has no problem running most everything I need it to. I still need my laptop from time to time, even if it's just for comfort. For the laptop; do I need the larger processor? Is an i7 going to help out, or should I stick with the newer i5 and SSD? I'm heavily leaning towards the i5.

The graphics for the games I'll be doing will likely be made by a friend, but I'd like to be able to do some on my own if needed. I don't need to have ten things running at once, if I have the ability to do anything I need to for the next 4 or 5 years that would be perfect.

Not that it matters but my current laptop is a Lenovo v570 (i5-2430M , 6GB RAM, Intel HD 3000). I've done just fine and love this laptop but it's time is over.

odinaden

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013

The only issue I have with the Asus is that it has that 1tb HDD @ 5400 RPM. I'd like to have an SSD, even down the road. Trying to find out now if I can add an SSD.

The other one (Dell i5) comes with an SSD and I can add another. I'm actually looking more into the Asus one about adding an SSD.

odinaden

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013

So, even though the i5 is a newer generation the i7 seems to be the more safe avenue? I know future proofing is a farce but I've still got to ask.

As for actual SSD which would be a decent option? Does it matter, will any 2.5" work? If you've got a recommendation that would be great. Sorry if this isn't the place for that.