Buying own laptop for first time and I don't know what to do

Sep 21, 2018
Hello, I am currently looking for a replacement for my HP g6 that I was given. I have never bought a laptop in my life and to be honest it is very confusing.

1. What is your budget?

$1,000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

14" is ideal, but it really depends on how heavy it is.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Something that is good for digital art and gaming.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

I want something that can be portable, but I am willing to look into desktop replacement laptops.

5. How much battery life do you need?

At least 4 hours.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I do want to play some games. Mainly games from Steam such as Undertale, Osu, the Sims, maybe Overwatch, and medium to high settings.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

I want to do digital art, so I want a laptop that would be able to run some art programs without crashing one. I also want to do the standard browse the internet and stream shows.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

At least 500 GB.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

N/A

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

For more than two years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

I don't really have a preference

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I also don't have a preference because I don't really know much about other brands. I do prefer Windows OS over MacOS, mostly because I grew up with it.

13. What country do you live in?

I live in the United States.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I am willing to look at refurbished laptops.

Solution
The problem of many laptop is that the cooling conditions are not up to their internal components and we have some laptop with very good processors that give bad results for this. My advice is to limit to HP, Lenovo and MSI.

Choose only one with the eighth generation processor. I7-8550U or I5-8250U. Both are better than the I7-7700HQ of the old generation and consume less with what the battery lasts longer. Both have 4 cores and 8 threads.

The biggest limitation is the fact that I can use it to play. This forces you to have a dedicated graphics card. With your budget you can only reach GTX 1050 (or GT 1050 TI). The MX130 or MX150 cards are not suitable for playing.

In general, laptops for gaming are larger than 14 ", but some will...

gingerrankin

Great
Apr 3, 2018
The problem of many laptop is that the cooling conditions are not up to their internal components and we have some laptop with very good processors that give bad results for this. My advice is to limit to HP, Lenovo and MSI.

Choose only one with the eighth generation processor. I7-8550U or I5-8250U. Both are better than the I7-7700HQ of the old generation and consume less with what the battery lasts longer. Both have 4 cores and 8 threads.

The biggest limitation is the fact that I can use it to play. This forces you to have a dedicated graphics card. With your budget you can only reach GTX 1050 (or GT 1050 TI). The MX130 or MX150 cards are not suitable for playing.

In general, laptops for gaming are larger than 14 ", but some will find.

Whenever you can choose with M.2 SSD instead of HDD.

Due to the large number of laptop names, which vary from region to region and differ in name for any reason such as the color of the cover I can not give you any specific model.

I recommend that you enter the online stores of HP, Lenovo, MSI and search among its offer those that match what I have said. Once chosen you can buy it there or in other stores.

Solution