saintcree

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
Hey there,

Sorry if this is in the wrong area, I wasn't sure where to post.

But...

This next winter semester I'll be taking photography and photoshop classes concurrently. And for this, I'll be wanting a digital camera. Personally, I've never been a camera person, and I've never kept up-to-date.

I'd like to purchase one not only for the class, but for me as well. I mean, I've always loved photography, especially nature, but I've never had time for it.

I'm looking to buy one that will do a little bit more than the general uses I have planned, just in case I ever decide to have a bit of fun. I honestly have NO clue where to begin looking though.

I'd like to keep the budget under $200. I'm not looking for an amazing professional piece of equipment, but one able to live up to editing-worthy resolutions and fitted for nature-oriented photography. Ideally, I'm thinking 10-14 MP, but again, I'm new to this. I have no idea what optical or digital zoom I'll be needed, or anything of the sort.

Also, I'm a simpleton when it comes to looks-over-hardware. I'm not too keen on style, but I'd like one that looks at least a little like This Little Guy. I know, it's ridiculous, but I like something a little sleek, as it's for general purposes.

If anyone could give me a few pointers when buying a camera, what to avoid, what to look for. Or recommendations for a certain brand, or model even, I would greatly appreciate it.

G

Lumix have a similar looking model 10 to 12 megapix for $120 to $135 or so.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Browse/ID72/14419441/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CPhotography%7C14419436/c_2/2%7C14419436%7CDigital+cameras+and+packages%7C14419441/r_001/4%7CBrands%7CPanasonic%7C1.htm

I'd tend to look for a camera with an optical viewfinder and/or simple physical controls (as opposed to relying on complex menu systems) because when you work in bright sunlight you sometimes cannot see what's going on in the preview screen.

Also note that Sony's proprietary memory sticks are more expensive than SD cards -- some Sony cameras now take SD as well.

saintcree

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
Would you say either models are pretty solid for what I'm looking to use them for?

Sorry, I just know very little on the subject. And it's hard to find a buyer's guide to suit mine really.

G

Sony have just reduced the price on the model you highlighted to $140 so you might as well get that one rather than the Lumix -- the only extra cost may be Sony's memory but that's no big deal.

I'm sure these days it's hard to buy a bad camera if you stick to the major brands and a sensible price point (as you've done).

I wouldn't buy without playing with the thing -- as I said originally you want simple physical controls for settings rather than menus so you don't have to squint at the screen in bright sunlight.