Bypassing windows 7 password

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBDQuilling

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
I bought a laptop computer with windows 7. Now I can't remember the password and MS is no help (as usual). So how can I bypass the password or reset it? Thanks

dbonetrain

Distinguished
May 28, 2011

I apologize, please refer to Google to assist you.

Edit: I removed any direct link or name to a password cracker.

There is a reason we avoid just posting password cracking software on these forums. According to the rules, no asking how to get around passwords or asking for product keys. Although many times people do forget passwords, someone sets it for them as a joke, etc... there is no way to tell if someone "forgot" a password or "picked up a laptop from the bus when the owner was not looking". Since it's easy to go to google and find anything there, I just point them in that direction.

dbonetrain

Distinguished
May 28, 2011

Thank you for pointing that out.

On a side note hopefully more people will start buying motherboards with TPMs, using bit locker, and not placing laptops in sleep so we do not have to watch what we say. :p

xx_pemdas_xx

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
You can use the disk you used to install your operating system..
just go into command console with it and change your password..

If you forgot your super admin pass you can just change the bring up assist file with command.

Next start up you can then change your pass with that. (shift five times fast)

Note that all saved passwords erase when you do that, not really circumventing the windows password because the important saved passwords are erased.

winoutreach5

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Hi,

Just as another member of the forum recommended, you can attempt to use command prompt to change a password with your Windows 7 Installation Media. However, with that said, please keep in mind that an Administrator account and password will be required in most cases to access the system recovery options for Windows 7. If you forget the administrator password and don't have a password reset disk or another administrator account, you won't be able to reset the password.

If there are no other user accounts on the computer, you won't be able to log on to Windows and will need to re-install Windows.

See, What to do if you forget your Windows password and Recover a Local User Account Password for additional information on the subject.

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

TBDQuilling

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
I'm taking the computer back to the people I bought it from and letting them deal with this problem. I know the password I used was correct but it refuses to accept it. That's why I needed to bypass it. I wish that HP wouldn't put an automatic password request before you even set the computer up. the big problem with trying to reinstall windows is that no disks are included with the computer anymore. I hope MS enjoys the few extra pennies it makes off not including disks with the computer. Had they included the disk this would have been a non issue.

Thanks for everyone help. :)

TBDQuilling

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

They no longer include disks with new computers (at least none that I have bought in the last 6 years. I miss my old AT computer. And you can't even make a rescue disk until you create a password and set things up. Why don't they make the creation of a rescue disk the very 1st thing you do?

New systems now come with either a restore partition you can get to, or a utility to create a recovery DVD set. Usually both. Correct passwords are never refused, in 20 yrs of PC work, I have never seen a correct password not work. Usually ends up someone mistyped something, or typed the password wrong when they set it (misspelled a word or something),or caps lock was on, etc...

The only time I have seen passwords not work is with web services where the password needs to be passed to an application that may be down. Windows, encryption, etc... a correct password never fails.

Microsoft is not the company that decides if the recovery disks are included, it's the computer manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.