C++ static cast won't work

Gamerboy

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
I put the offending cast in bold to make it easier to find. The program runs but it executes int division. Any idea why the cast isn't working?

#include <iostream>

struct Fraction
{
int nNumerator;
int nDenominator;
};

void Multiply(Fraction sF1, Fraction sF2)
{
using namespace std;

cout << static_cast<float> (sF1.nNumerator / sF2.nNumerator)*(sF1.nDenominator / sF2.nDenominator);
}

int main()
{
using namespace std;

Fraction sF1;

cout << "Enter a Numerator: " << endl;
cin >> sF1.nNumerator;
cout << "Enter a Denominator: " << endl << endl;
cin >> sF1.nDenominator;

Fraction sF2;

cout << "Enter another Numerator: " << endl;
cin >> sF2.nNumerator;
cout << "Enter another Denominator: " << endl;
cin >> sF2.nDenominator;

Multiply(sF1, sF2);
return 0;
}

Ijack

Distinguished
You are casting the result of the division. You need to cast at least one component in each division (personally I would cast all four numbers). Otherwise you do the integer division, with a resulting integer, and then cast that integer to a float. Not, I think, what you intend.

Actually, I don't think you should use static casts at all, just normal casts:

((float) a / (float) b) * ((float) c / (float) d)

rockg06

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
It seems that it's converting the first division into float, but the second division is remaining an int. So it may convert the whole operation back to an int. I would try either static_cast<float>((a/b)*(c/d)); or if that doesn't work: static_cast<float>(a/b)*static_cast<float>(c/d);

Ijack

Distinguished
I don't think that either of those will work (but I can't be bothered to check). You're still doing the division before the cast. Divide an integer by an integer and you get an integer result. You can cast that to a float but it won't magically recover the decimal part.

Actually, the easiest answer is just to declare nNumerator and nDenominater as floats in the first place and forget casts.