calibrating a laptop monitor?

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
Hey guys. I just got a new laptop (sager np8651) and was just running some heat/stress tests to make sure its fine. Pretty happy with it so far, but theres one thing. I went with the IPS panel and while it seems pretty nice i think its gamma is too low, or the contrast is too high or something. The pictures too dark and blacks are pretty crushed. I just was wondering what the best way to mess with the gamma/brightness/contrast, ect is since its a laptop screen. I noticed windows has a 'calibrate display color' program that seems like it may work. Should i use that? Is there something better? I have a 970gtxm in it but didn't notice any options on it to mess with the monitor settings.

Im using win 10 btw

Use the following site to help manually calibrate your LCD screen.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

If you want something more precise then you need to purchase a colorimeter which is a piece of hardware to calibrate the LCD which can be relatively inexpensive at around $80 for a basic model to some that are over $400 for professional use where color accuracy is extremely important. Here's an example:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009APMNB0/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687742&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0037258L4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1SMYV1JW2RYYQZ2SQCXJ

*** EDITED ***

Forgot the link to the website for manual calibration.

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
yea i've used that lagom site before but the gamma test is a bit hard to use. I was hoping for some different patterns. I know of calibration meters but never felt the need to get one. Especially for a laptop which has no real controls.

And the question still remains HOW do i calibrate it? Like i said its a laptop screen.. no buttons or options. Do i just use the windows 'calibrate display color' tool? I'm talking about this
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/calibrate-your-display

I would think my gtx 970 would have some options but it appears to only have settings for 3d stuff. If i do use the windows one i need to know if its possible to reset it. If i dont like the changes i want to be able to go back to the original setting but i have no idea if thats possible

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
anyone? Im guessing i have to use the 'windows calibrate color' tool. But i need to know that i can go back and reset it to default after i change it. I cant tell if it will let me or if once i change it thats it and the 'reset' button under gama will just reset to the new setting. Its the link i put in the last post. heres a little tutorial on it, im really only messing with the gamma slider at the bottom

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414252,00.asp

There are very limited adjustments you can do with the Windows tool. You can always click "reset" for gamma. Brightness is just the controls on your laptop increase / decrease brightness. There are no contrast control. Color balance is easy to reset since the sliders are defaulted to the right of the scale.

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
Yea it is ilmited but i dont know what other tool i can use. For some reason my gtx970m doesn't seem to have any display calibration options. I know i can click reset when messing with it. The question is, if i change the gamma then a day or so later i decide i dont like it, can i go back to the default, or will the 'reset' button on the gamma slider just reset it to whatever the new setting is? Most programs have a 'default' setting button. Im just concerned that if i change it, then decide its too high or something i cant go back to what it was before
]

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
well.. i am worried about it because i dont know if when i go back the reset button will actually reset it to the defaults... or just reset it to whatever the newer setting is =P It is Windows after all