Call Me Maybe? Android Flaw Could Interrupt Your Calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Why aren't all android phones developed to run the latest android and then have all manufacture specific functions such as camera, audio, gui updates update seperately to the phone like apps. That way the phone is always updated and everything keeps working or can be easily updated individually as needed.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
So many hardware manufacturers make different kinds of Android phones

That's a totally bogus statement from the manufacturers. The vast majority of models have nearly identical hardware that really doesn't affect the OS and it only requires minor work to patch, build, and push an update. The problem is a combination of the bloatware and the fact that most OEMs forget about a device as soon as it's been released and don't care about updating.. MS doesn't patches Windows all the time and they have to worry about a much larger hardware space.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
"As a result, Android devices don't all receive the latest software updates at the same time."

Some don't receive the latest updates at all, Jill. At least not through official channels. Many phones are abandoned by their manufacturers, sometimes after only a year or so. Meanwhile you've got people crying that XP (which is ancient as heck) isn't getting updated anymore. :p

Steve Simons

Estimable
May 31, 2014
My wife's android was abandoned by the manufacturer very shortly after it came out. We said, "never again," and in about a month, she'll have a shiny iphone like I already do. The fact that the iphone is WAY more secure and updated is a huge selling point when you do business from you phone.

Android needs to figure this out because people are starting to catch on to the Shiny flash of the new phones only to see them abandoned the second the new one comes out. Apple still supports the 4S and to a lesser degree the 4. Pretty crazy.

mnd_bg

Estimable
May 22, 2014
"The bug (...) can only be exploited via a rogue application installed on vulnerable Android phones."

Yaaawn. Another storm in a teacup. It's getting boring.
The vast majority of the security breaches happen because the user is doing something he/she shouldn't be doing. I have a four year old rooted HTC with Android on. I switch the internet on only when I need it, I install only known and proven apps. I have app that manages permissions on everything that's installed on the device. On top of that I have a security software (paid one, not "free"). And basically this is the bare minimum everyone should have/do on their smartphone. It's simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.