Call of Duty Players Decimate World Population

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

prodigygamer

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
What is so hard to work out...Knives, C4, Claymores, remote control car's, chopper(doesnt count as your bullets as its AI controlled for normal chopper), napalm strikes, dogs, grenades, throwing knives, tomahawks, rockets, 2 for 1 shots...and probably more I am forgetting. Even Gas can kill or a direct hit from any flashbang, stun grenade if playing in hardcore mode. Suicides intentional or accident jumping from windows and ledges....all contribute tot he death stats.

Those numbers seem perfectly normal to me, if you played the game, you would understand lol

bonezy

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]prodigygamer[/nom]What is so hard to work out...Knives, C4, Claymores, remote control car's, chopper(doesnt count as your bullets as its AI controlled for normal chopper), napalm strikes, dogs, grenades, throwing knives, tomahawks, rockets, 2 for 1 shots...and probably more I am forgetting. Even Gas can kill or a direct hit from any flashbang, stun grenade if playing in hardcore mode. Suicides intentional or accident jumping from windows and ledges....all contribute tot he death stats.Those numbers seem perfectly normal to me, if you played the game, you would understand lol[/citation]

These stats are NOT normal. Apparently only eklipz330, burnley14, and myself get this.

The stats released by Treyarch were incorrect. Maybe of their numbers (and probably some of those 'counters' on the ticker at the bottom of the screen) were off -- that's why they re-adjusted them for the 50.49.xx.xx patch on the Xbox360. My entire leaderboard of friends had their numbers incorrect. My kill per minute was listed on the Leaderboard section in Team Deathmatch at about 75 kills per minute. I got the game on launch day, and within an hour, Treyarch's stats reported I had 4,000+ kills. You do the math.

Also, as for 4.7 billion deaths for only 2 billion rounds fired... look at your own accuracy percentage. Does it make sense? That number equates to every round of ammunition being fired, hitting its target, and killing them... and only accounting for half of all kills. I'm saying not a single missed bullet, and still only accounting for half of the kills. Sure, I've had my rounds of 20-0, 29-3, etc., but even on those rounds, most of my kills have been with my primary weapon. My kills streaks, nades, claymores, etc. always do less than half of my work. Primarily bullets. And I do miss. Alot.

Do the math again. You'll see the only three dissenters here are right. There are only two reasons for this: 1) This article is reporting on Treyarch's (already proven) incorrect statistics algorithms, or 2) Mr. Mossesberg either mistyped the figure for rounds fired.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]I'm a little confused by the math here: 4.7 billion deaths/kills but only 2 billion shots fired? They must be getting enemies to stand in a line for headshots[/citation]
Definitely seems wrong. On average, it takes 3.5 bullets to kill someone (3 close, 4 far). Most players have 15-20% accuracy, so I'll use 17.5%.

So 2bil*17.5%/3.5=
100million kills.

Somehow, I have trouble believing the other 4.6 billions kills are all from knives, grenades, and killstreaks.

bsbsbsbs

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
[citation][nom]tronika[/nom]2560x1600 on my new 580. anywho, you're my hero and I want to hand you over the medal of excellence in outstanding achievement and awesomeness.[/citation]

Simple11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
[citation][nom]aliened[/nom]lol? No, CONSOLES suck; because of consoles the pc has never been able to perform at its full capacity. Because of the poor graphic performance of consoles, video games have to be limited on the use of the GPU’s, enough said.[/citation]

OR...PCs are an easy canidate for games to be hacked. Hacked games are less profitable, for obvious reasons, and as a developer why should I write for the PC when the profitability isn't there??

servarus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]Of course, but I have a hard time believing that these "secondary" sources have amounted to more kills than good ol' bullets. Vehicles and explosives are not exactly primary weapons, and even knife kills are not THAT common.[/citation]
There's grenades and perks. That cause cause multiple kills. And it says, over 2 billion. Really, to count that many bullet, only crazy people would do that. I'd say the 2 billion is just an estimation.

aliened

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Simple11[/nom]OR...PCs are an easy canidate for games to be hacked. Hacked games are less profitable, for obvious reasons, and as a developer why should I write for the PC when the profitability isn't there??[/citation]

Indeed thats the bad point of pc's, all those pirate copys make the developers want more the consoles than pc, BUT.... console grapchis still suck :p

G

It
is
just
a
game.

Morality has nothing to do with it. I'm tired of these writers assuming that the general population is too stupid to know the difference between digital and real life consequences.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]halodude23[/nom]owned, pc still sux, stuttering...[/citation]
I'd wish Console games can play online with PC gamers. I'll sit back and watch my 13yrs old Nephew own the living day lights out of the Elite Console players. Then I'l lstep in and just wipe the floor with even more elite console players and noobs. Then Console trolls would just be quiet. Ofcourse...then all the console players would cry hacks. *sigh* PC's are 3x to 10x more powerful than any consoles out there....and as some have stated its the developers who are not making the PC games worthy. Nuff ranting on this.

[citation][nom]Simple11[/nom]OR...PCs are an easy canidate for games to be hacked. Hacked games are less profitable, for obvious reasons, and as a developer why should I write for the PC when the profitability isn't there??[/citation]
Last time I checked....you can mod an Xbox360 and play pirated games. So ur point is moot at best as well.

[citation][nom]aliened[/nom]Indeed thats the bad point of pc's, all those pirate copys make the developers want more the consoles than pc, BUT.... console grapchis still suck[/citation]
Again, i'd say pirated games occur just as much on the Xbox 360 and older consoles vs PC's. True developers are getting more money on consoles but in the end its because the consoles are cheaper...in almost every aspect - CPU, GPU, Drive Space, hardware, to build, to develop for, etc.

firebee1991

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
The past three Call of Duty games have all had interesting and engaging, albeit painfully short campaigns. However, as I game on a PC, there's no way you're going to get me to play online with all those cheaters, and paying $60 for 4-6 hours of gameplay seems to be pushing it to me.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
It is common for Decimation to be used to describe wholesale destruction. Annihilation would be more apt. Decimation was the punishment inflicted on Roman Soldiers for deserting a field of battle. One notable General was Marcus Crassus who inflicted a decimation on the Consular Legion after it fled the field facing the Slave Army of Spartacus. Simply put one out of ten men (Deci is Roman for Ten) is clubbed to death by nine of his fellow soldiers thus resulting in the death of ten percent of the men of the Legion bein punished. 10 percent is not two thirds.

G

Yawn!! Craptastic game published by Activision, need I say More!!!!!

joker463

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
I'm glad other people caught the incorrect math involving the 2+ kills per bullet fired, while reading the article it seemed drastically off. So many players spray and pray, wasting full magazines and even then not getting a kill. All those bullet misses more than make up for the few perk kills that are made. Treyarch needs to invest in a good $5 calculator to get their math in order.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]Of course, but I have a hard time believing that these "secondary" sources have amounted to more kills than good ol' bullets. Vehicles and explosives are not exactly primary weapons, and even knife kills are not THAT common.[/citation]

Possibly 'rounds' were confused with magazines? If you go with a low estimate of 20 rounds per magazine (average the 100+ clips with 5-15 in rifles...) That's 40 Billion bullets, or 8 rounds per kill. Roughly of course, and that number can be bumped around for explosives, knives, and vehicles. It's also possible that their servers only record certain types of guns perhaps?

G

over 2billion ROUNDS fired, people. learn to read. rounds = the clip of ammo that drops when you reload
also, black ops isn't horrible. it's amazing. balanced, no glitchers, no boosters, no quick-scopers, very, very few tubers, very nice map designs. the customization is amazing. the only people who dont like black ops are tubers, drop-shotters, campers, squeakers, quick-scopers (hand-in-hand with squeakers), campers, boosters, glitchers, and shotgunners.
every gun is good if you know how to use it. including the shotguns, which kill very close range (unlike mw2 where you can snipe people with 3 shots of a shotgun, or 2 with akimbo)

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
So what's wrong with people staying indoors and killing nicely colored pixels instead of going out binge drinking, screaming, insulting other people, drinking and driving, appearing on the news making fools of themselves and so on? I say this is the best thing that happened since the introduction of television.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]joker463[/nom]I'm glad other people caught the incorrect math involving the 2+ kills per bullet fired, while reading the article it seemed drastically off. So many players spray and pray, wasting full magazines and even then not getting a kill. All those bullet misses more than make up for the few perk kills that are made. Treyarch needs to invest in a good $5 calculator to get their math in order.[/citation]

They died of Aids, cancer, HCV etcetera. They are new, hidden weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.