Call of Duty to Carry on With New Developer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]I wonder if this is due to not having dedicated servers...[/citation]

Highly unlikely. That ship has sailed. IW fought that battle and obviously lost. This is somethign bigger, like forcing CoD into a yearly release schedule and allowing more third party developers to get their hands on IW's invention, which they have strenuously objected to in the past.

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]brent_nc[/nom]If MW2 is the last game IW puts out, then the world is going to be a better place. Thank you Activision!Let's hope they pull their heads out and get the COD franchise back on track and leave this wussy console crap for the kiddies.[/citation]
those wussy console crap kiddie gamers will spend more money than pc gamers. Not saying its right but pretty soon you might just have to be one of them to play video games. So quit bitching about it. I get so sick of everyone calling console gamers names.
Here is the thick of it. I play 90% of my games on my 360. You know why because I can play with friends. I can pick up a controller and just play. I dont have to patch games, I dont have to upgrade hardware, I dont have to spend 6times my paycheck on hardware. I dont have to troubleshoot everyone elses computer just so we can play for an hour. And best of all I dont have to worry about whether or not my soundcard is going to break the game.

Dont get me wrong. I would love to be able to game with higher graphics, and a keyboard and a mouse, but none of my friends do. So I will buy crappy console games and crappy consoles. And you will buy crappy console ports for the pc at least while you can.

So deal with it. RIP IW Im not looking forward to another ww2 shooter.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
As far as I hate the "forever forever" or "you never know" release dates from Blizzard... at least they do release good to excellent games.

If I have to pick between "a good game every few years" or "an ok gmae every year"..... I will rather wait for the good game!!!

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]hehehehe[/nom]They probably played one round of Bad Company 2 and realized their game was garbage in comparison.[/citation]
Awesome, simply Awesome! I really hope DICE doesn't get looked over this year on BFBC 2 like they did with the first one. Hey, I loved MWF2 but it can't compare to what I played last night on BFBC2.

gladiator_mohaa

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
I understand how developers need the backing of of a publisher, but do you think Jason and Vince saw this would happen down the road with a billion dollar game franchise they created? It is sad that for the love of games, brilliant gaming minds have to sell out to the devil that feeds them and wait for the day of reckoning that will always come. This makes me believe that Activision had more to do with the debacle that happened with MW2 and the PC crowd. They wanted the control to pull the plug and require people to purchase the new via IWNET.

Good Luck Jason and Vince. Thanks for all the fun you have brought to millions of gamers. Tell Bobby to get lost and find a job making games where it is a "REQUIREMENT" to have fun. :)

Fortunex

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]thackstonns[/nom]those wussy console crap kiddie gamers will spend more money than pc gamers. Not saying its right but pretty soon you might just have to be one of them to play video games. So quit bitching about it. I get so sick of everyone calling console gamers names. Here is the thick of it. I play 90% of my games on my 360. You know why because I can play with friends. I can pick up a controller and just play. I dont have to patch games, I dont have to upgrade hardware, I dont have to spend 6times my paycheck on hardware. I dont have to troubleshoot everyone elses computer just so we can play for an hour. And best of all I dont have to worry about whether or not my soundcard is going to break the game. Dont get me wrong. I would love to be able to game with higher graphics, and a keyboard and a mouse, but none of my friends do. So I will buy crappy console games and crappy consoles. And you will buy crappy console ports for the pc at least while you can. So deal with it. RIP IW Im not looking forward to another ww2 shooter.[/citation]

Last I checked, you do have to patch games, you don't have to upgrade hardware assuming you have a competent PC (which only costs around $600, so if that's 6x your paycheck, you might want to look for a better paying job). And that part about the sound card is complete BS and you know it (besides, not many people use discrete sound cards anyways).

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
No need, thank you, if MW2 was any indication of where the franchise is headed then, by all means, publish it but I'll be proudly torrenting it when it's out, and I'll seed the hell out of it for all my fellow peers to download!

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Ahhh perfect....take a good game, and turn it into an MMO, turning it into an addict creating, time wasting black hole. AWESOME! Just what I wanted.

/sarcasm

What the hell are you thinking?! FPS is what it is, don't turn it into something else. You can have a great book and turn it into a movie, and all of a sudden it sucks. Don't turn an FPS into an MMO and make it suck.

Honestly, I've played COD since COD2, played MW and MW2, loved all three, however I got bored of MW2 very quickly. I will say though, BF BC2 tops MW2 and MW easily, the whole battlefield tops everything else, props to DICE/EA for that.

GutPunch

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
[citation][nom]thackstonns[/nom]those wussy console crap kiddie gamers will spend more money than pc gamers. Not saying its right but pretty soon you might just have to be one of them to play video games. So quit bitching about it. I get so sick of everyone calling console gamers names. Here is the thick of it. I play 90% of my games on my 360. You know why because I can play with friends. I can pick up a controller and just play. I dont have to patch games, I dont have to upgrade hardware, I dont have to spend 6times my paycheck on hardware. I dont have to troubleshoot everyone elses computer just so we can play for an hour. And best of all I dont have to worry about whether or not my soundcard is going to break the game. Dont get me wrong. I would love to be able to game with higher graphics, and a keyboard and a mouse, but none of my friends do. So I will buy crappy console games and crappy consoles. And you will buy crappy console ports for the pc at least while you can. So deal with it. RIP IW Im not looking forward to another ww2 shooter.[/citation]

If you have to spend 6 times your paycheck on new hardware then get off your butt and get a real job. The funny part is you think you are saving yourself some money but having to pay monthly to be able to connect, more expensive game titles, and additional hardware features - not to mention buying a nice TV - exceeds the cost of a nice gaming platform.

Consoles ARE the boon of the industry. They are part of the casual gaming/quick development cycle issue that has plagued the industry since the release of the Xbox/PS2. So I say **** you to both Activision and IW. Activision just wants to turn quick cash on terrible, shallow, and pointless gaming. Enjoy the cycle you are perpetuating. As for IW, I hate how they turned their backs on the people who put them in business - PC gamers.

Screw them both. Time to get new blood in the industry with new ideas on new technology.

Brent_NC

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
hose wussy console crap kiddie gamers will spend more money than pc gamers. Not saying its right but pretty soon you might just have to be one of them to play video games. So quit bitching about it. I get so sick of everyone calling console gamers names.
Here is the thick of it. I play 90% of my games on my 360. You know why because I can play with friends. I can pick up a controller and just play. I dont have to patch games, I dont have to upgrade hardware, I dont have to spend 6times my paycheck on hardware. I dont have to troubleshoot everyone elses computer just so we can play for an hour. And best of all I dont have to worry about whether or not my soundcard is going to break the game.

Dont get me wrong. I would love to be able to game with higher graphics, and a keyboard and a mouse, but none of my friends do. So I will buy crappy console games and crappy consoles. And you will buy crappy console ports for the pc at least while you can.

So deal with it. RIP IW Im not looking forward to another ww2 shooter.

Don't mistake me, kids and console users are more than welcome to play games and I support studios making games tailored to that group. Developers should not expect PC users to accept the watered down, half baked crap that console users are willing to purchase and play on. MW2 is nothing but a joke, no matter what you play it on.

Piss on that..

Serious PC gamers that have been around are a particular crowd in general. We like our systems, we tune them, we tweak them, we mod them, we do so much more with games and gaming in general, it is almost a joke to call console and PC users gamers in the same sentence. There are the serious gamers and then there is console.

You choose to play on a 360 because that is where you are comfortable. Some people are not cut out to play on the PC level and that is perfectly acceptable, it doesn't make those people any less of a person. My nephew grew up on consoles and can't even fathom playing on a PC. It's too hard, how do you use this mouse thingy, why is everyone killing me. I showed him Falcon 4 and he couldn't believe that a game could take 100+ keys to play.

PC gamers in general are a serious group of gamers. I just dropped 1800.00 on a system that I could have used to buy 6 PS3's for. All for gaming, no other reason. Sadly, 1800.00 is a drop in the bucket compared to some if not most. So who is more serious about gaming? The 11 year old who got a Wii for Christmas? I think not.

Not to be condescending or insulting, but this is how it is. Some of the most popular games on the planet are on the PC and some PC only, WOW is a good example of that. To state that console is the way gaming is going, isn't quite accurate. I have three kids that love their Wii, Xbox, PS3 games, they don't even try to play Daddy's.

Once last thing, I may get suckered with a crappy console port by a studio once, but it won't happen twice. One thing about PC gamers, we are loyal and vicious as hell, all in the same breathe.

Status
Not open for further replies.