Camera access, privacy and vulnerability

Staraser

Commendable
Sep 11, 2016
Hello all
I wanted to know is it possible for someone to gain access to a smartphone camera via the Internet. And if that does happen, what can I do in case my pictures are taken and how can I prevent this in the future?

Solution
Just like any other hack, it takes carelessness on the part of the user to allow it. Disable bluetooth if not actively using it, don't use random open WIFI, get a phone with a newer version of the OS.

If you are REALLY paranoid, there is always black tape over the rear facing camera ...

Staraser

Commendable
Sep 11, 2016

Hello
Thank you for the reply. I don't really know how I would be aware. I was just wondering if there is a way to prevent it.

kanewolf

Judicious
Just like any other hack, it takes carelessness on the part of the user to allow it. Disable bluetooth if not actively using it, don't use random open WIFI, get a phone with a newer version of the OS.

If you are REALLY paranoid, there is always black tape over the rear facing camera ...

Solution

Staraser

Commendable
Sep 11, 2016

Yes that is true. On the most I've visited some dodgy websites that's all. I've not downloaded anything whatsoever. In my older phone there was no security and the browser was allowed to access my camera hence my concern.