Camera won't attach to Tripod

Tenslaster2980

Estimable
Feb 16, 2014
A few years ago I had my Nikon Coolpix L330 on my Tripod, and I left the room to do something, and my Brother accidentally knocked over the Tripod (he tried lying but I knew it was him). My Camera was knocked off my Tripod, and it chipped the inside of the Camera that attaches to the Tripod, and I can't put the Camera on a Tripod.
This is an issue since I've started to use it again, is there a way I can fix it? fix it?

Solution
I had similar happen to a Fuji HS10. Not dropped, but crappy plastic threads broke off inside.
Similar size to your Nikon.

Tried all sorts of things, to include carefully carving out space for a nut, and JB Weld that in. No dice.

I eventually had to fashion an aluminum plate for the bottom. It was sort of a PITA.
Longer screws to replace the 4 originals holding the bottom plate on, holes drilled in the right locations, and the 1/4-20 threaded hole for the tripod mount.

gA15rAf.jpg

Tenslaster2980

Estimable
Feb 16, 2014

Well I'm in class right now, so I'll have to wait till I get home.
But I also don't have the piece that broke off. This was a few years ago so I doubt I'll find the piece.

USAFRet

Illustrious
I had similar happen to a Fuji HS10. Not dropped, but crappy plastic threads broke off inside.
Similar size to your Nikon.

Tried all sorts of things, to include carefully carving out space for a nut, and JB Weld that in. No dice.

I eventually had to fashion an aluminum plate for the bottom. It was sort of a PITA.
Longer screws to replace the 4 originals holding the bottom plate on, holes drilled in the right locations, and the 1/4-20 threaded hole for the tripod mount.

gA15rAf.jpg

Solution

USAFRet

Illustrious
I had to buy this box of screws, to get longer ones of the correct size and thread.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NVVWX6

Camera shops didn't have anything long enough, and watch/clock shops had stuff either too small or too large.

The 4 screws visible in my pic replace the 4 original screws, just longer to account for the thickness of the alu plate.
You'll have to adjust for exactly how your Nikon is built on the bottom.

And then of course drill and tap the standard 1/4-20 threads for the tripod mount screw.

Can you post a pic of the bottom of the camera?

Tenslaster2980

Estimable
Feb 16, 2014

https://ibb.co/hUfBmF
That should work
It has a huge chunk taken out of it, so I may have to do what you did.

USAFRet

Illustrious
That box of screws etc I linked earlier?
Nooooooo...those are far too small. You need a regular 1/4-20 threaded nut.
Quarter inch, 20 threads per inch. Standard nut found at any hardware store.

But that did not work for me.
There was not enough mating surface to hold that nut in securely, no matter what I used. 2 part epoxy, JB Weld, whatever.

That's why I went with the alu plate on the bottom.

That Amazon box of bolts was for the 4 screws to hold that plate on.

Tenslaster2980

Estimable
Feb 16, 2014

Alright, I'm gonna order the screws and do what you did.
Thanks for the help on this, saves me from getting a new camera.