Can a black RCA cord substitute for a yellow one?

lsinrod

Estimable
Apr 7, 2018
I don't have a yellow RCA cord, can I use a black one (or red or white) one to connect as long as I connect both ends to the yellow jacks? That is, is there any real difference in the cord or is it just to make it easier to connect?

Solution
Should work just fine as far as I know for RCA cables whether the cable is white, red yellow, green or blue it's all the same thing the color coding just makes connecting the equipment more straightforward.
Usually white / red are for the audio
Yellow for composite video
Red / Green / Blue : Component video

But overall they are all the same in the end as far as I know, shielding might be better on the video cable, but there's no risk in swapping them around

lsinrod

Estimable
Apr 7, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from lsinrod : "Can a black RCA cord substitute for a yellow one?"

I don't have a yellow RCA cord, can I use a black one (or red or white) one to connect as long as I connect both ends to the yellow jacks? That is, is there any real difference in the cord or is it just to make it easier to connect?

dalaran

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
Should work just fine as far as I know for RCA cables whether the cable is white, red yellow, green or blue it's all the same thing the color coding just makes connecting the equipment more straightforward.
Usually white / red are for the audio
Yellow for composite video
Red / Green / Blue : Component video

But overall they are all the same in the end as far as I know, shielding might be better on the video cable, but there's no risk in swapping them around

Solution

Acidtest

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
What is this being used for? The yellow cable traditionally is composite (standard def) analog video, and expects a 75 ohm cable. You probably won't notice a difference though.