Can a laptop have 2 graphics cards ?

G Wiz

Estimable
Aug 14, 2015
I Feel really curious !
can i install two graphics cards in one pc !!?
and if i can, is there any possibility i can use them at the same time ?
and is it be better for my pc ?

Solution
Many laptops come with two graphics adaptors, usually the Intel integrated + another GPU like geforce. This is so it uses the low power intel graphics for windows and the higher power graphics for games. But this is usually done from the factory, its not practical to retro fit usually.

Some HIGH end laptops will have two Geforce cards to run SLI for more performance. Again this is usually done from the factory, its not practical to retro fit usually.

RobCrezz

Honorable
Herald
Mar 14, 2013
Many laptops come with two graphics adaptors, usually the Intel integrated + another GPU like geforce. This is so it uses the low power intel graphics for windows and the higher power graphics for games. But this is usually done from the factory, its not practical to retro fit usually.

Some HIGH end laptops will have two Geforce cards to run SLI for more performance. Again this is usually done from the factory, its not practical to retro fit usually.

Solution

Firepower0701

Estimable
Jun 19, 2015
Laptops do not have graphics cards, they have graphical chips soldered onto the motherboard, usually as part of the CPU. Sometimes the chip will be separate from the graphics card, but not usually. If this is true, you still cannot replace the chip unless you are really good at micro-soldering.

Well technically, NO LAPTOP has a graphic card. But all laptops do have GPUs. :lol:

Yes there are laptops with twin GPUs, it's been around for a long long time now. Look at the GT80 titan, X5 Aorus, X7 Aorus, and some alienware laptops have twin GPUs.

Firepower0701

Estimable
Jun 19, 2015

If hye really does have twin GPU's in his laptop, I doubt he would be worried about upgrading.

RobCrezz

Honorable
Herald
Mar 14, 2013

Well, technically you are wrong. Some laptops use MXM graphics cards
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/301198203306?adgroupid=&hlpht=true&hlpv=2&rlsatarget=&adtype=pla&ff3=1&lpid=122&poi=&ul_noapp=true&limghlpsr=true&ff19=0&device=c&chn=ps&campaignid=&crdt=0&ff12=67&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80

Google MXM graphics card and you will see there have been lots of different laptop graphics cards.

Firepower0701

Estimable
Jun 19, 2015

MXM cards are relatively uncommon and a pain in the ***.

RobCrezz

Honorable
Herald
Mar 14, 2013

Doesn't make it not exist? They are used quite a lot actually, even some new laptops are using them.

Firepower0701

Estimable
Jun 19, 2015

If we go down this train of thought, we are off topic. I also very highly doubt the asker of this question even understands the concept of mobile gpus, as he used the term graphics cards and not GPU or MXM cards.

RobCrezz

Honorable
Herald
Mar 14, 2013
I was just correcting the statements about laptops not having graphics cards, which is clearly wrong. When two people in one thread are making that statement it just spreads false information.