Can A Sprint I Phone be Unlocked to move to Metro

Solution
Under Sprint’s unlock policy, the phone has to have been activated for a minimum of 50 days on the Sprint network, be completely paid off, and be under an account in good standing. If the phone was never activated on Sprint network, then no it cannot be unlocked.

I bought a Sprint iPhone 8 and learned the hard way. The seller said it was unlocked for Sprint and Boost. I should have been suspicious then. The Sprint iPhone 8 is GSM compatible and uses a nano SIM and therefore should work on any major wireless carrier including t-mobile and AT&T. I learned the hard way that despite the phone being fully paid off, it still required 50 days on the Sprint Network (AT&T and T-Mobile also require similar for unlocks). So I was lucky to add a...

lhardeen

Prominent
Feb 1, 2018
Under Sprint’s unlock policy, the phone has to have been activated for a minimum of 50 days on the Sprint network, be completely paid off, and be under an account in good standing. If the phone was never activated on Sprint network, then no it cannot be unlocked.

I bought a Sprint iPhone 8 and learned the hard way. The seller said it was unlocked for Sprint and Boost. I should have been suspicious then. The Sprint iPhone 8 is GSM compatible and uses a nano SIM and therefore should work on any major wireless carrier including t-mobile and AT&T. I learned the hard way that despite the phone being fully paid off, it still required 50 days on the Sprint Network (AT&T and T-Mobile also require similar for unlocks). So I was lucky to add a line to my friend’s account for 50 days after which I went through a week of HELL to get the device unlocked. I spoke with Sprint numerous times; T-Mobile and Apple Care. Both T-Mobile and Apple Care wished me luck and said Sprint is notorious for bouncing customers around and not unlocking phones in a timely manner. I persisted though, kept calling and gained knowledge that I hope I can pass on to others.

When requesting a Sprint unlock specify that you want both domestic and international. Some reps will ask; some will not. Follow-up frequently and when you’re given the run around, get firm and threaten to file an FCC complaint. After seven days of back and forth, I finally reached someone who was willing to escalate my case to a supervisor who could then escalate to “the back office” for expedited unlock. Th customer care rep assured me the phone would e unlocked within six hours and that she’d personally call me to let me know. Guess what? She did! I admit that I didn’t trust she’d follow through and called a second time to let them know I was waiting on a call back. The next agent I spoke to also entered an escalation ticket. So crazy works and I recommend beinr VERY PERSISTENT! When you own the phone free and clear and your account is in good standing, they have no right to hold you hostage.

Good luck to anyone else who sets out on the Sprint unlock journey. Just be patient and clear about what you want! And throw in the FCC if need be!

Solution