Solved! Can Acer Aspire 3 be made compatible for use with Google Meet?

Aug 7, 2020
I have an Acer Aspire 3 A315-21-2476 15.6" AMD E2 Dual Core Notebook (1.0 TB Hard Drive, 1.5 GHz, 4GB RAM, Card Reader: SD/SDHC/SDXC, Processor Model E2-9000e) it runs slow, but especially when using for Google Meet (which my kids use/need for school). Bought new Jan 2020 and it was slow from the start but painfully so with certain functions like in Google Meet. It's not used a whole lot- I use it for documents and some photos (not a ton). Wondering if there is something we can upgrade or have done to this notebook to make it more compatible with Google Meet? Currently it freezes up on calls and the response to muting/unmuting within Google Meet is severely delayed. Not sure if there is a way around this. Suggestions?

Solution
4GB of RAM is pretty marginal, in my experience. You can look at task manager when running Google Meet and see how many page swaps/sec are occurring, but this is a bit on the techie side. I would just buy another 4GB or memory. Cost you about $20.

Not to be plugging a particular vendor, go to www. crucial.com and put in your laptop info and see what they say. If you are comfortable with taking your machine apart, great. If not, a repair shop should not charge much for installing memory. CAUTION--I have run into machines with NO ability to expand the memory. This is pretty rare. If you are not certain of your skills, go to a shop.

8GB of memory should be plenty unless you are a really hard-core user. Also, have you installed a lot of...
4GB of RAM is pretty marginal, in my experience. You can look at task manager when running Google Meet and see how many page swaps/sec are occurring, but this is a bit on the techie side. I would just buy another 4GB or memory. Cost you about $20.

Not to be plugging a particular vendor, go to www. crucial.com and put in your laptop info and see what they say. If you are comfortable with taking your machine apart, great. If not, a repair shop should not charge much for installing memory. CAUTION--I have run into machines with NO ability to expand the memory. This is pretty rare. If you are not certain of your skills, go to a shop.

8GB of memory should be plenty unless you are a really hard-core user. Also, have you installed a lot of extra junk on your machine? Again, task manager will help you see if the memory and CPU resources are being taxed close to the limits. How to do this is beyond the scope of this forum, but a little searching on your part will find detailed explanations on the web.

Reactions: glily
Solution
Aug 7, 2020

8GB of memory should be plenty unless you are a really hard-core user. Also, have you installed a lot of extra junk on your machine? Again, task manager will help you see if the memory and CPU resources are being taxed close to the limits. How to do this is beyond the scope of this forum, but a little searching on your part will find detailed explanations on the web.
Thanks. The system specs says it is expandable up to 12GB so 8 is an option (not one I will likely do myself, but good to have direction). I don't use it for games or apps - it was almost entirely for MS Word docs and PDFs until the school stuff kicked in- then it became a 2nd machine for google classroom and inevitably, Google Meet. Thanks again.

Just to clarify, adding 4GB more for a total of 8GB should be adequate. 4GB of memory shouldn't cost more than about $20. Opening your machine and installing the additional RAM takes about 15 minutes . It's no more complicated than that. Make sure they put in the right memory. Just throwing in something they have around could impact the machine performance. Again, Crucial.com will tell you the memory specs you need. Good luck!