Solved! Can I add wifi and chromecast to my soundbar?

r25642a

Commendable
May 27, 2019
I have an lg sk5 that has both hdmi out (arc, which I already use), hdmi in and usb in. I can get a wifi dongle onto the USB in and chromecast dongle (for audio) onto the hdmi in. Will this add chromecast capability to the Sk5? Still waiting for a female-male hdmi cable before I try it out.

Solution
First of all, thank you for the replies .... sure helps a fumbler like me ! I had already cast soundcloud tracks through the TV chromecast and then on through TV optical out to the soundbar.

But then I wanted to see if I could cast soundcloud tracks straight from android phone to the sound bar without turning the TV on. I had not realised the chromecast dongle would already have wifi and due to limited space in soundbar compartment, needed a short HDMI extension wire as the dongle would not fit directly into HDMI in.

Also thought the soundbar would have to be connected in the home wifi network for the chromecast dongle to work. Thus the attempt to add wifi capability to the soundbar thru the soundbar USB port. Two...
Why not simply connect the Chromecast to the TV the soundbar is connected to?

Not sure why you would try to add a WiFi dongle to the sound bar, the chromecast has WiFi capability built in, and a WiFi dongle won't do anything in the soundbar.

Also why are you looking for a HDMI extender cable? Does not sound like you need that at all.

r25642a

Commendable
May 27, 2019
First of all, thank you for the replies .... sure helps a fumbler like me ! I had already cast soundcloud tracks through the TV chromecast and then on through TV optical out to the soundbar.

But then I wanted to see if I could cast soundcloud tracks straight from android phone to the sound bar without turning the TV on. I had not realised the chromecast dongle would already have wifi and due to limited space in soundbar compartment, needed a short HDMI extension wire as the dongle would not fit directly into HDMI in.

Also thought the soundbar would have to be connected in the home wifi network for the chromecast dongle to work. Thus the attempt to add wifi capability to the soundbar thru the soundbar USB port. Two misconceptions cleared !

So it looks like just a direct chromecast connection to soundbar HDMI in would work. No reconfig of chromecast needed ?

Also thought the soundbar would have to be connected in the home wifi network for the chromecast dongle to work. Thus the attempt to add wifi capability to the soundbar thru the soundbar USB port. Two misconceptions cleared !

So it looks like just a direct chromecast connection to soundbar HDMI in would work. No reconfig of chromecast needed ?

If you want to play music from your phone, why not simply use the bluetooth connection in the sound bar to the phone to play it? Or use the phone audio out jack connected with a cable to the sound bar. You are complicating things a bit, the phone audio should have nothing to do with the TV or chromecast. Just pair the soundbar to the phone, select bluetooth as the source on the sound bar and done.

Your soundbar has a bunch of available inputs, just read the manual. Both 3.5mm jack and Bluetooth will work with a phone. Or anything. I have mine paired to an Echo Dot for example.

• Portable In (3.5Ø)
    Yes
  • Optical
    Yes
  • HDMI 1.4 (HDCP 1.4) - In / Out
    1 / 1
  • USB
    Yes
  • Bluetooth - v 4.0
    Yes

Solution

r25642a

Commendable
May 27, 2019
Bluetooth is convenient but highs sound a bit off and 'clipped' . Will probably go echo dot way. It was just that I had a spare chromecast dongle on hand...