Solved! CAN I BUY SEPARATE GRAPHICS CARD FOR LAPTOP

chocy369

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
HI I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO BUY A LAPTOP WITH CORE i7 PROCESSOR BUT IT IS COMING WITH RADEON HD4570 CARD with 512MB MEMORY.VIDEO EDITING IS MY MAJOR TASK AND I AM AWARE OF GPU DOESN'T PLAY ANY ROLE IN RENDERING THE VIDEO.MY QUESTION HERE IS CAN I REPLACE MY GPU CARD IN FUTURE IF I WOULD LIKE TO PLAY HIGH END 3D GAMES?

Solution
Yes, you can....within limits that are akin to desktop systems.

First off, for most mass market laptops, this answer is no. Because of economies of scale, they design the PSU and cooling sub systems to the hairs breadth of design limits and no fiddling after that as something will get overloaded. Then there's the boutique industry which custom builds and these designs need the flexibility to handle those changes. It's a little harder now to figure out who makes what but you could go on sites like Falcon northwest, WidowPC etc and notice that all the models kinda look the same.... two year's ago they were all used Clevo as the ODM but most builders are now starting to use other ODM manufacturers.

To learn about Clevo, look here...
As dexter said, it's almost always no. Generally, only highend systems (like Alienware and Clevo) have upgradeable graphics and even then they are tough to find and are expensive. My best advice to everyone is to buy the best graphics card your budget can afford, that way you won't be as disappointed then if you settled for less.

Yes, you can....within limits that are akin to desktop systems.

First off, for most mass market laptops, this answer is no. Because of economies of scale, they design the PSU and cooling sub systems to the hairs breadth of design limits and no fiddling after that as something will get overloaded. Then there's the boutique industry which custom builds and these designs need the flexibility to handle those changes. It's a little harder now to figure out who makes what but you could go on sites like Falcon northwest, WidowPC etc and notice that all the models kinda look the same.... two year's ago they were all used Clevo as the ODM but most builders are now starting to use other ODM manufacturers.

To learn about Clevo, look here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=91510

The most common gaming laptops are based upon the Clevo 860CU and 870CU designs

http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=product&filter=6

GFX card choices are:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5870 w/1GB GDDR5 DX11
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285M w/1GB GDDR3

You'll note that there is not a large difference in performance between the 3 choices. The base model comes with the 5870, with a $45 discount for the 280M and a $55 increase for the 285M

Solution

chocy369

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010

HEY,Thanks allot,Thats more information than i needed.And it is very helpful to me.