Can I connect multiple Bluetooth speakers to a device playing music?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetSorrow1996

Commendable
May 26, 2016
I'm looking to connect my phone/tablet/mp3 player to multiple speakers to play around the house. Is there an app or do I need to get a hub and connect to all of them?

Last edited by a moderator:

DJR4321

Estimable
Sep 28, 2015
Can you give me information on the Bluetooth Speaker please, it would help a lot as there are some Bluetooth speakers that you can play music out of multiple speakers at the same time without an app.

apk24

Estimable
Aug 6, 2015
Based on all the research I have done, the answer is no. Unless you have multiple bluetooth chips in your phone/tablet/mp3 player (an extremeley unlikely scenario) or some kind of hub/reciever that is otherwise connected to the speaker set up in the house, you will be limited to one bluetooth speaker. However, it is possible to create more convoluted setups than a simple bluetooth connection. There are Bluetooth audio recievers that can plug in to a speaker's audio in cable. These combined with long wires and splitters copuld do your job. If you want to make it wireless, fm transmitters are a thing. The bluetooth reciever would connect to an fm transmitter and each speaker could be paired with an fm reciever and you're good to go.

If you do find a solution though, I would be very interested.

DJR4321

Estimable
Sep 28, 2015
The research I just did is that JBL bluetooth speakers has that feature on there speakers where it allows it connect multiple speakers at once from one device (it could be a app too, not sure). A few of there bluetooth speakers (Mainlt the ones with the + at the end) come with this feature. Hope this helps, probably the only thing that doesn't help is that there quite expensive.

SweetSorrow1996

Commendable
May 26, 2016

My speakers I'm using are a Bose Soundlink II and a Sony, I can't remember the model. I think I've found a solution, but I'm waiting on it to arrive in the mail. I'll let you know if it works.
Thank you for your time

Fraliex

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016

So did whatever work?

tdurhamjr

Estimable
Nov 23, 2015

Can you post up your findings? I am wanting to connect multiple Roverbeats. They have GREAT sound but it would be awesome if I could have about 5 or 6 of them going from one source.

Iandxb

Commendable
Sep 21, 2016
This solution is for MAC (I believe El Capitan onwards...)...

On the MAC Turn on bluetooth and pair and connect to each speaker you want to use. Once all are connected open the Audio Midi Setup app found in the Utilities folder in the App directory.

In the lower left corner click on the '+' and create a Multi-output device.

Your connected bluetooth devices should be listed. Tick each one that you want to use.

Open System Preferences, click on Sound (the speaker icon) and choose the Multi-output device.

Open iTunes and play your tunes.

The MAC will output to all connected bluetooth speakers.

If you want to play with volumes, left/right output volumes, mute etc then go back to the Audio Midi Setup app and click on the little triangle to the left of your Multi Output Device description and a drop-down will open showing the controls for each device. You can type in volume percent value or dB in the boxes or tick/untick boxes to mute the speaker or left/right channels.

Chad_131

Commendable
Oct 4, 2016

This is not true there are Bluetooth speakers that allow connection to two devices of the same brand( not necessarily model) although only later models can do it, 2015 onward if im not mistaken. With an app allowing a stereo system. The right side comes out on the one and vice versa. I know this works with jbl bluetooth speakers.

AtchooDev

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016
Most consumer speaker providers offers some multiroom solutions via Bluetooth or Spotify connect/Wi-Fi.

http://www.philips.co.uk/c-m-so/multiroom-systems

http://www.sony.com/electronics/wireless-multi-room-audio

http://www.sonos.com/en-gb/products/wireless-speakers

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Philips-SW700M-Spotify-Multiroom-Speaker/18-8446

Many of the examples I´ve seen are based on synchronizing to each of the other speakers or distributors, sometimes with a master clock signal (ye olde master/slave configuration), and generally with some open source Unix type firmware/software.

The series from Philips are for instance based on a firmware mainly used by radio enthusiasts, called ir-mmi: http://iradioforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=2099.0

To put it short:
It is very much possible, but it mostly depends on streamlined equipiment that is intended to co-exist.
It´s not very likely that two separate random bluetooth speaker units will cooperate without some kind of "master clock" signal. Hope this cleared things up a bit :)

Andreas

PS! Check out an app called Airfoil, by Rogue Amoeba. Last time I checked, it was available for PC & Mac, and it allows you to "route" your music to infinity and beyond (well...at least any device capable of receiving an audio signal). Innovative stuff.

Since a computer is not one of the sources he wants to use a software solution won't work. There are BT transmitters that will pair with two speakers but not more that I know of.
Sonos is the right way to do what you want to do.
You would not need those devices as sources. The phone and tablet would control the system. Your mp3s would be played off a computer of NAS storage drive so no iPOD needed.
Each Sonos speaker would access the internet and music files by itself so each can play different music.
Not the cheapest solution but the most reliable and easiest to set up and use.

wendyjsadler

Commendable
Oct 29, 2016
OMG - you are awesome!!! I have just set this up in seconds, its amazing! I feel I just inherited a multi-speaker system for my house worth thousands, for no cost. Thank you so much (and thank you mac)
Our halloween party tonight will be rocking :)

Iandxb

Commendable
Sep 21, 2016
:pt1cable:

Have a great time!

:)

rrtracks99

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016
You can do this by cobbling together various components available on EBay. The components you would require depending upon what you want to do are: (A) Bluetooth Transmitter/Receiver About $10 to $15. All the ones I have looked at are only receivers that have a 3.5mm output jack; and a (B) Multi-point Bluetooth 4.0 Transmitter - About $11 to $15. These have a 3.5mm input and will pair with two devices.

If you want to connect wireless, from your phone or whatever, to two speakers you would need one (A) and one (B). For each number of speakers you want above two; you would have to add an additional (A) & (B). The nice thing about adding additional speakers is each addition would act as a repeater extending the range you have. What I do not know is if there is any significant latency between devices. I kind of doubt there would be, but would not buy for more than three speakers before finding out. I currently use an (A) with my living room sound system and the sound quality is very good. However, being slightly hard of hearing I cannot be much of a judge on high quality sound.

Jim_105

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016

I know this thread is a few months old but I have essentially setup a triple Bluetooth speaker setup by creating a custom hub which consists of 1 Bluetooth receiver and 3 Bluetooth transmitters each connected to the receiver with aux splitters. Each transmitter is constantly paired with its respective Bluetooth speaker. I concealed the custom hub neatly in enclosed pvc pipe and mounted high on a wall in the center of my apartment.

Clair_

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016

This worked GREAT!!

LM____

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016

I'd love to see how you did this Jim!

Could you attach the eBay urls for the products you used?

Thanks

rrtracks99

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016
LM,

You can do a search on EBay for 3.5mm hub and multi point Bluetooth transmitter. The mp transmitter will pair with two devices, but with a 3.5 mm hub you could hook up more than one transmitter. The transmitter uses Bluetooth Version 4.0 so the range is somewhat limited. In my place, going between rooms, the range is about 30 to 40 feet. In a different location the range might be a little less or more depending upon the type and number of walls having to go around and through. The transmitter cost $13 including shipping. The transmitter did not come with a power supply, but just about any micro USB power supply or outlet will work as the current requirement is low. I am currently using a mp transmitter with an Echo Dot to connect to a home theater system in my bedroom, and a Bluetooth speaker in the adjacent vanity area. The speaker is moved into the bathroom when taking a shower. The sound quality is good, and there has not been any problems with keeping a continuous steady connection. However this might not work well while using a microwave near either the receiver or transmitter. This has been a problem for me while using a Kindle Fire in my kitchen to connect by Bluetooth to my living room sound system.

Status
Not open for further replies.