can i connect old speakers to a new amp

Aug 31, 2018
The system box for my 2003 Panasonic SC HT-900 system has failed. Can I use the speakers with another amp/receiver box? The bit that might complicate things is the system cable that went from the sub to the system box (which was also the 5-disk Disc player).

Solution
usually those AIOs have 6-ohm speakers and they are usually a bit on the lower wattage range (~40W ~ 60W each) so you can use a standard AVR like this Denon AVRS530BT, just watch the volume levels or you may blow out the speakers.

To resurrect the sub, I would gut the entire amp assembly and check the actual sub speaker, if it's all good wire up an amp like this with an amp like this. Should be well enough to get you going on the cheap until you decide to get a better speaker set w/ a dedicated sub.
Well, this all depends how handy you are.

At first glance, the system unit sends all audio information to the subwoofer via a (1)custom cable, then the subwoofer does the amplification and sends amplified signal to passive (2)Front+Rear+Center speakers.

(2) is Easy, every speakers have + and - like any other Joe-Blow speaker. Hookup to any Joe-Blow amplifier/receiver.

(1) This takes a little investigating, must find out which wires of that custom connector carry what channel. Any electronics geek should be able to figure this out by process of elimination. U can keep using the subwoofer amplification (new box must have pre-outs), or let your new amplifier/receiver power the Front+Rear+Center (a more standard box without pre-outs will work here).

Aug 31, 2018
Thanks. I think I understand. I would be happy to power the speakers from a new box, but does that mean the sub is defunct?

I disagree,I think youre making things seem less complicated than they are personally.
That sub is taking in analog only signals, most newer equipment will offer only a digital sub connection.

So yes possible maybe depending on new equipment being used & proficiency of the user but still way too complicated for the average joe.

Seeing as the op has asked if he can use these speakers , & I am not meaning to be derogatory here at all, Im going to assume that rewiring this is not going to be practical.

Depending on location you can grab an older model 5.1 reciever & a sub too second hand for less than $100 & its just going to be a straight swap out with no messing around.

Sounds like that will be best in your situation.

Select the receiver first, I say 95% of modern receivers will have bass management, meaning it will do crossover on-board sending the proper signal to the speakers, and all u need to add is a self-powered sub with a mono input for a typical receiver with a single LFE. Another detail, if those other speakers are 4 ohms, new receiver must also be 4 ohms capable.

usually those AIOs have 6-ohm speakers and they are usually a bit on the lower wattage range (~40W ~ 60W each) so you can use a standard AVR like this Denon AVRS530BT, just watch the volume levels or you may blow out the speakers.

To resurrect the sub, I would gut the entire amp assembly and check the actual sub speaker, if it's all good wire up an amp like this with an amp like this. Should be well enough to get you going on the cheap until you decide to get a better speaker set w/ a dedicated sub.

Solution