Question Can I connect Samsung J5 via HDMI? Or lost cause?

Babaika

Great
Nov 14, 2021
Hi,
I have broken screen, so I want to connect the J5 to my TV, in order to see the screen.
I have MHL (micro usb to hdmi) + HDMI cable.
However TV does not recognize that I connected the phone.

Is there anything can be done, or lost cause, since maybe J5 does not support MHL?

Thanks

Does that mean there is no way to see the screen?

I mean even if we brought it to a repair shop, they would have no chance?

Ps: any way to at least access some files by connecting to the PC? Now it only shows it as a phone, but zero files inside.

You should be able to browse the files, but the phone has to be unlocked. With a bad screen it's not likely to be.
If you bring it to a repair shop they can simply replace the screen, it's likely to be near $100 cost, maybe a bit less, but if you did not back things up on the phone and need to get to the files not much else you can do

Babaika

Great
Nov 14, 2021
You should be able to browse the files, but the phone has to be unlocked. With a bad screen it's not likely to be.
If you bring it to a repair shop they can simply replace the screen, it's likely to be near $100 cost, maybe a bit less, but if you did not back things up on the phone and need to get to the files not much else you can do
I would need at least to delete all files/do hard reset/wipe all phone.
But how can I do it without seeing the screen?

Babaika

Great
Nov 14, 2021
No real way since you can't see the prompts. If you won't be re-using it, just smash it.
Someone suggested to watch a video of prompts and follow each step by pushing the same buttons etc.

I could do that, but I need a way to verify if it suceeeded.

My idea is to verify hard reset by pluging in via USB and checking if windows allow me to go deep inside phone folder.
Currently windows does not allow in, because once you connect the phone via usb, you have to enter PIN code and also click "pair with PC" or whatever confirmation promt.

My guess is that after I di hard reset - it wont request PIN and I will be able to see inside the phone folder in windows.
That would confirm that hard reset worked.

One small BUT - if even after hard reset you need to still click the screen and prompt "pair with PC" button, that would not help me. (Unless maybe I could blindly push on the screen in hopes the button works )