Can I download my windows 7 with product key that originally came with laptop

Cehobson69

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
I have Asus k52f laptop. Originally came with Windows 7 . I upgraded to Windows,,10. But when i was not home. My husband and son tried to turn laptop on. But could not figure out password. Next thing I noticed is it would not start up. Show error code...(don't remember what) I was stuck.but next door neighbor said he works on computers (big mistake) told him nothing important on it. Just wanted to be able to use it again. Next he brings it back with Windows 8 on it. And every thing else Gon.all good stuff came with it when I purchased it. Now my memory c: is full can't update windows can't reset it . Im not good enough to figure out how to do or fix anything on it. HELP

JeffDaemon

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
Well if you didn't install windows 10 using a Microsoft account, you probably lost your free upgrade. However YES, you can download the windows 7 iso at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7 .

If you are lucky your key is in the bios (make sure you install the correct version of windows 7 your key supports. ie dont select home if its a pro key), otherwise you will need to enter it manually.

If you installed windows 10 using a microsoft email then you can simply install windows 10 iso from scratch and when you log on again with the windows account, it copies the key from online.

JeffDaemon

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013

If your code is part of the bios, it will work.

Just tried with an OEM key, got this error.

Error

The product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options.

Jan 31, 2019

I used the hidden key retrieved using a program because the sticker was illegible, but I still get the response about contacting the manufacturer. Any other ideas on how to get windows 7?

You should have made a set of recovery discs while Win7 was working okay or created a system image using Windows 7's built-in "Backup & Restore". Since you probably did neither of those you're screwed unless Asus can provide you with a set of recovery discs -- contact them and ask.

As has already been pointed out, the laptop manufacturer is responsible for your Windows support, not Microsoft.