Solved! Can i hook up my laptop to my desktop tower?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthonyd009

Commendable
May 21, 2016
Hi,

I was wandering if it's at all possible to hookup my laptop to my desktop tower.Why i'm asking this is because my desktop doesn't recognize my wired keyboard and wireless mouse and yes they do work as i'm using them as i'm typing this out at the moment on my laptop.I tried a few suggestions and they didn't work.My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C75D-A.I just want to get on my desktop and try to reinstall the drivers for the keyboard and mouse.I might not of mentioned this but i can't get pass the login screen when the keyboard and mouse doesn't work and yes i did go into the bios and all of the usb ports are enabled and i just don't know what to do.If i can't find a solution that might work then i guess i'll have to wait until i can get up enough money to buy a windows reinstall disc.which i hope i don't have to do because i have alot of stuff on my main hard drive i don't want to lose unless i have no other choice.So please see if there is a way that i can do this and it'll work....thanks

Solution
Looking at the back of the motherboard, the USB2.0 ports are usually the once on the left and 99% of them are black. Also it might take a few minutes before the system will recognize a USB device when the drivers are not installed. once you get to the login screen unplug the keyboard and plug it back in after a few seconds. Then wait for about two minutes or so and see if it recognizes the keyboard.

No, the Windows version don't have to be the same but the one you want to remote into needs to be Pro or better. However, Remote Desktop is not enabled by default. You would have had to enabled prior to the system not excepting the keyboard and mouse.

Have you tried booting into Windows7 Safe Mode with Network by using the F8 key?

anthonyd009

Commendable
May 21, 2016

My Desktop has windows 7 ultimate 64 bit and my laptop has windows 10 and the windows 7 theme i think.i don't know if my keyboard is connected to a 2.0 usb port because my desktop tower has like 12 usb ports but i did try all of them and it didn't work.let me guess both my laptop and desktop has to have the same OS in order for it to work probaly.

Emerald

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2005
Looking at the back of the motherboard, the USB2.0 ports are usually the once on the left and 99% of them are black. Also it might take a few minutes before the system will recognize a USB device when the drivers are not installed. once you get to the login screen unplug the keyboard and plug it back in after a few seconds. Then wait for about two minutes or so and see if it recognizes the keyboard.

No, the Windows version don't have to be the same but the one you want to remote into needs to be Pro or better. However, Remote Desktop is not enabled by default. You would have had to enabled prior to the system not excepting the keyboard and mouse.

Have you tried booting into Windows7 Safe Mode with Network by using the F8 key?

Solution

anthonyd009

Commendable
May 21, 2016

Yes i tried booting it into windows safe mode with networking and it still goes to the login screen where you have to put in your password and the same when i tried just safe mode.

anthonyd009

Commendable
May 21, 2016

Thank you for several solutions and i did try them all but they didn't work.I decided that i'm just going to wait until i save up enough money so i can buy a windows reinstall disc.

Alan Wells

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

Also you didn't mention if you could get into the bios/uefi menu with the key to do it. Del, f2, etc?
If you can you may try to disable USB ports, save the changes and boot into windows. Then shut down and re enable USB and see what happens.
If you can't get into bios during boot you have bigger problems. Like a dead USB chip. An add on card would be the hot fix for that. Windows OS is readily available to download to burn to DVD or USB without buying it. Taking it as you have the sticker on your PC still.
Good luck.

anthonyd009

Commendable
May 21, 2016

Yes i can get into the Bios and all of the usb ports are enabled.It's when i get into the login screen that my keyboard and mouse doesn't work.That's why i was going to save up some money and buy a windows disc to do clean install.

Status
Not open for further replies.