Can I improve my PC sound somehow?

d1versify

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Hello i have my PC connected to my HI-FI SONY LBT-D209 (it's an old hi-fi but really decent) with 3.5m jack.
I have no sound card.
Is there any way to improve the sound somehow? maybe with this SPDIF plug?
but im a noob with all this audio stuff

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
SPDIF will not improve your sound quality, it is just a mere connection.

Try the DFX audio enhancer; I remember the trial version comes with limited function but mostly functional. I think new trial version comes in limited time. So if you can find older ver of DFX program, I think version 5 or 6 then it won't stop working but function is limited.

http://www.fxsound.com/dfx/index.php

Other option is to get yourself a sound card with C-Media chip as (base on my experience) it works best connected with HIFI system (means sounds better, more neutral). If your speakers system is Multimedia Speakers like those Logitech then soundblasters X-Fi's are fine.

Most costly option is to update/upgrade your speakers, sometimes you can find used ones at the store.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
As I mentioned previously, other options are sound-card or/and speaker upgrade.

Unfortunately your system is old, those speakers are tire and probably wont go down below 75 Hz wth the power is probably 80W and the amp is no less than .7 THD. Your system may not even have SPDIF connection. look behind your system and if you can't find digital connection input then it has no SPDIF connection.

So your first choice is to download the software mention above leave it to default, play music and increase your system volume. If the sound is distorted then you're system is probably can not handle frequency below 50Hz. Then the question is, how much are you willing to spend for a better sound? A sound card would enhance your sound but your speaker capability is limited.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Check the link below, these speakers are more likely better than yours. I'm not trying to say your system is bad but if your happy with your system then maybe you just need a soundcard upgrade.

Anyway, The reviewer on link is probably don't know Adam, Dynaudio, Event or even Genelec because his best selections are entry level monitors.

Sorry forgot to give you the link. http://www.wirerealm.com/guides/top-10-best-studio-monitor-speakers

d1versify

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
First of all thanks for the answers guys!
@rexter You are talking about my hi-fi right? Yes i checked on the back and it does not have a SPDIF. But can't i connect it to a converter or something and then to my PC ?
No, i do not want to spend much. My speakers sound really fine for me. This hi-fi cost about 700 in euros back then, it sounds good! I just wanted to know if adding a soundcard or digital sound would make any difference :)

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Yes, but SPDIF connection wont matter, just how your music is being transfer from A to B. What actually makes a big difference is how the digital signal is being converted to analog (DAC) not every converter is the same.

Soundcard will be a better alternative to improve the sound from your computer, this is due to enhancement features comes with the soundcard. More likely that soundcard will have SPDIF output. so that's up to you f you want to use it, like the card link bellow.

http://www.htomega.com/claro2.html

The easiest way to upgrade your PC sound is with an outboard digital to analog converter. There are a lot of these out there. Some are USB only others will have SPDIF inputs as well.
Huge range of prices too. Cambridge Audio makes 3 different models for example.
Since you don't need multichannel audio your could get a sound card like this that is designed for high end 2 channel audio:
http://www.esi-audio.com/products/juliaxte/
And yes your old Sony will be a limiting factor so if you can upgrade that it would also go a long way to improve the sound.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006

When I bought mine, it comes with one. But toslink cable aren't that expensive anymore.