Solved! Can I increase RAM speed on my laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 23, 2018
my FPS isn't doing so well for a $1k+ CAD gaming laptop, I think it's gotten weaker overtime, I used to be able to run League of Legends at 140 FPS, now it's averaging around 80-90 FPS. My RAM is 8 GB but its speed is 1600 MHz, I don't know if that's good, bad, or decent. I heard that increasing RAM speed can increase FPS by a lot so I was wondering if I can increase the RAM speed on laptops? If not, what are some ways to increase my FPS? I think I have to get a new gaming desktop if I want to achieve 144+ FPS on LoL again.

laptop: dell inspiron 7559

Solution
On most laptops you can't change RAM speed, except buy buying new RAM modules that are slower, laptops usually use the fastest modules they support. But that is also irrelevant for you, your computer has a dedicated graphics card, so changing ram speed would not change your FPS anyway.

What I think would help, is to open up your computer and put on new thermal paste on your CPU and GFX chip. thermal paste lose its ability to transfer heat over time, so the components start to run hotter and then they throttle speed to run slower.

I actually did put new thermal paste on my work laptop yesterday and now the CPU is 15 °C lower temp at max load.

torbendalum

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
On most laptops you can't change RAM speed, except buy buying new RAM modules that are slower, laptops usually use the fastest modules they support. But that is also irrelevant for you, your computer has a dedicated graphics card, so changing ram speed would not change your FPS anyway.

What I think would help, is to open up your computer and put on new thermal paste on your CPU and GFX chip. thermal paste lose its ability to transfer heat over time, so the components start to run hotter and then they throttle speed to run slower.

I actually did put new thermal paste on my work laptop yesterday and now the CPU is 15 °C lower temp at max load.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.