Can I install a GPU in my Laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilTwist

Estimable
Mar 28, 2014
I just got a brand new laptop from bestbuy the other day and it currently only has intel hd 5500 graphics in it I am wondering if it is possible for me to install a gpu in it I know there are upgraded versions of this series of laptops that do have gpu's in them so I am wondering if it is possible that I can add a gpu in my laptop to beef up the gaming capabilities now like I said there are other versions of this laptop that are better because they have i5s in them and they also have dedicated GPUs in them as well so I am wondering if the mobo in my new laptop might be the same as the better laptops and there might be a gpu chip slot or might there be some kind of external usb graphics I could use I at least want to put in a 850m or 950-960m gpu chip in it

this is the laptop I just got 3 days ago
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i3-processor-6gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-matte-black/6374138.p?id=1219661390049&skuId=6374138

here are my specs

Brand: ASUS X555LA
CPU: 5th Gen i3 5005U 2.0GHz
Ram: 6Gb
Graphics: intel HD 5500

Solution
When you go to the link you provided on the laptop go to the specifications link. It details what is inside the laptop. There is no expansion slot for PCIe. The only change that can be made is to upgrade the memory. So the video provided is a chip on the motherboard and no upgrade is possible. i have a new laptop much like yours and it doesn't have a PCIe expansion slot either.

davidarad02

Estimable
Dec 27, 2014
in 99.9999% of laptops today you cant install a GPU (the exception is the MSI GT80 Titan, but that is already a desktop replacement), so, no. you cant upgrade a GPU inside a laptop.
anyway, you got a 350$ laptop that comes with windows, so you shouldnt have expected any amazing gaming performance...

LilTwist

Estimable
Mar 28, 2014
I wasnt expecting amazing gaming performance I got the laptop mainly for college when I start classes in fall I was just wondering if a gpu can be installed I mean i cant find the info anywhere but if the mobo in this is the same as the upgraded versions of the same series that have dedicated gpu chips in them then why wouldnt I be able to go out and install a gpu if there might possibly be a slot on the mobo that can take a gtx 840m or 850m graphics chip like I said in my previous post there are laptops of the same series "X555" that have dedicated graphics and a better cpu in them so there might be a possibility that the mobo might be the same right? if so then there is a spot for a dedicated gpu chip that is sitting empty. I can not take an answer like

"in 99.9999% of laptops today you cant install a GPU (the exception is the MSI GT80 Titan, but that is already a desktop replacement), so, no. you cant upgrade a GPU inside a laptop."

and say "oh well I guess I cant" that kind of answer just tells me you did no research and your only going off of knowledge of previous laptops this laptop is new not old sorry I dont mean to be offensive but I need an answer from someone who actually knows a lot about laptops

also Iantrich do you know this for a fact and if so can you please link where you found this information

I am sorry if you guys are taking what I am saying as hostile but I know for a fact there is a lot of people in tomshardware that think they know things only to be told they are wrong or actually give wrong info and completely ruin someones computer because they gave out wrong information and/or instructions

davidarad02

Estimable
Dec 27, 2014
believe me, I know more than you think.
what you should really answer right now, is "oh well I guess I can't", because you really cant. the most you could probably upgrade is the ram and maybe the HDD, but that's never always the case.
sure, I might be wrong, and if I am, someone will probably correct me, and I will accept my mistake, and learn for the next time someone asks thing kind of question.

and please, if someone is trying to help you, dont shout at them, if they give you the answer you werent looking for.

lantrich

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
When you go to the link you provided on the laptop go to the specifications link. It details what is inside the laptop. There is no expansion slot for PCIe. The only change that can be made is to upgrade the memory. So the video provided is a chip on the motherboard and no upgrade is possible. i have a new laptop much like yours and it doesn't have a PCIe expansion slot either.

Solution

LilTwist

Estimable
Mar 28, 2014
trust me im not shouting I just have to be a little on the offensive on a site like this because like I said people give answers but they do no research also the ram can be upgraded what I need is someone that actually looked into this laptop and did some research not someone who sees a post like this and automatically says "no you cant" and expects to be picked as solution not saying thats you I just know there is a lot of people on here that do that

davidarad02

Estimable
Dec 27, 2014

you cant expect to go to a forum and expect that someone will come up and say:
"I have this laptop. no you cany upgrade the GPU"
if you want a good answer, dont be offensive, because with one click, a mod can ban you from this forum, so be careful...
you cant expect someone to go onlie for hours and do the research to get you an answer, that is your job...

now getting back to the question, and away from that subject.yes you can upgrade the RAM, and you cant upgrade the HDD, but I did say that you MIGHT be able to, not you CAN upgrade it.
your question was: "can I upgrade the GPU", and I answer to you: no.
please just give a best answer and walk away from this thread, because this problem of you being offensive helps nobody.

LilTwist

Estimable
Mar 28, 2014
holy cow im not cursing and im not being disrespectful unlike jitpublisher so why would I be banned? just because i challenge your knowledge of laptops does not mean I am disrespecting you and doesn't mean an immediate ban. So what if I was coming off hostile you gave me an extremely quick answer that told me "no I can't" meaning you did no research .Yes I understand I am the one that needs to do most of the research but google doesn't provide everything I need to know thats why I came here so maybe there is someone that knows where to look and they can give me the answer or point me towards my solution. The things people tell you on tomshardware is mostly what "THEY" think is the right answer without providing any proof or links and the ones that do provide those kinds of things I applaud you for your time and research like Iantrich who actually went in and found something I missed and told me where it was so thank you Iantrich for actually researching for me and telling me why I cant install a gpu.

davidarad02

Estimable
Dec 27, 2014

even if you werent doing all of that stuff, you cant "challenge" my knowledge, I'm answering what I know, and I dont have to do anything for you, say thank you that I even wrote something, and that I responded so quick.
just so you know, I DID go into the link and looked at the laptop, because it could have been one of those laptops that are different then all the others, but it turns out its not.
I didnt mention that I went inside because I didnt think it was important. you're prasing lantrich because I said that he went in, and thats really rude to disrespect someone that is doing the job for you, so now that you have your answer, you can walk away, and everybody will go back to thier normal life.

davidarad02

Estimable
Dec 27, 2014

im not planning on getting anyone banned, but some people take stuff way to seriouselly.

LilTwist

Estimable
Mar 28, 2014
thank you moderator I was under the impression that a dedicated gpu was a lose chip I didnt know that they are usually soldered on the mobo I thought they were just like the chips on the pcb of a graphics card. now for the soldered gpu chips if I did have a laptop with a dedicated could I unsolder and solder in a new chip is that possible?

davidarad02

Estimable
Dec 27, 2014

no. that is not possible.
yes, theoreticly you can de-solder it, but thats impractical.

I can replace/upgrade the GPU in my MSI GT70, but yes, the majority of laptops seem to have the GPU soldered to the mobo these days. :)

LilTwist

Estimable
Mar 28, 2014

wouldn't I need a PCIe slot in my laptop to be able to upgrade the gpu? I doubt I can upgrade my laptop I only spent 350$ on it but the moderator says they are usually soldered on the board

Status
Not open for further replies.