Can I install a touch screen in the non-touch version of a touch laptop?

Newblet

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
I have a q500a-bhi5n01 asus laptop. It is a non touch laptop. There is the q500a-bhi7t05 that does support touch and the only difference between the two is that one supports touch and the other does not. could i order the touch screeen for the bhi7t05 model and install it in mine?

Solution
Another caution. Even thought the MB is the same model,that does not indicate they infact have idenitical connectors. Ie I have a Tosibia laptop that has compartment for daul HDDs. Only problem is that they did not put a connector on the MB for the 2nd HDD - The Pin out is on the MB and I could probably solder a Header onto it.
In your case, They may have two different connectors for the MB, One for the NON-touche screen and one for the Touch screen (w/increased connectivity).

The only way you will resolve this is if you can 1) find somene that has moded theirs, or 2) Get Asus to state yes, or NO (and That may be hard to do, call in and chat people do NOT have that level of Knowledge.

Newblet

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013

i need to know for sure, the screen only costs 70 usd to purchase. the alternative is buy a new pc for around 900 usd.

Skeefers

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
I'm trying to figure out if the 2 models have the same motherboard or not. Assuming they do, the other screen should work fine, however if not, the question becomes does your laptop have the right connector for the touchscreen.

xerxces

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010

This is kind of my point, something of this requires great knowledge and skill. It is easy to build and change parts on a PC but a laptop brings all sorts of new problems when trying to change parts.

Skeefers

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
Since the Asus website only shows one variation on the model, and thus only has 1 set of drivers for the motherboard and chipset, I have to conclude the the only difference between the two models you listed is the screen itself. That said, the touchscreen should work fine in your laptop. Unfortunately, I can't find anything online to definitively confirm this, but I've seen nothing to lead me to believe it won't work either.

Skeefers

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

Agreed, it isn't the easiest thing to do, however it may be worth it to him, and frankly $70 is a great deal for that screen. It's a huge upgrade for a lot less than it would have cost to buy the laptop that way in the first place, especially with the full 1080p resolution on top of the touchscreen aspect.

Newblet

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013

I think i was mistaken. I see now that the screen is in fact 70 dollars, but i dont think the includes the digitizer or hookups. i think its purely the LCD only. Im more of a desktop guy so understanding laptop technologies is a work in progress :chaudar:

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Another caution. Even thought the MB is the same model,that does not indicate they infact have idenitical connectors. Ie I have a Tosibia laptop that has compartment for daul HDDs. Only problem is that they did not put a connector on the MB for the 2nd HDD - The Pin out is on the MB and I could probably solder a Header onto it.
In your case, They may have two different connectors for the MB, One for the NON-touche screen and one for the Touch screen (w/increased connectivity).

The only way you will resolve this is if you can 1) find somene that has moded theirs, or 2) Get Asus to state yes, or NO (and That may be hard to do, call in and chat people do NOT have that level of Knowledge.

Solution

6anthony9

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013

But Asus doesn't have a cd/DVD rom that's y I didn't get it but it was touch screen and really nice so I went with the 17.3 inch hp non touch and it's beautiful !!