Can i install ssd in my laptop without voiding the warranty.

Aakash singh43

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
I'm buying a new laptop lenovo ideapad 310 and it has optical drive, so i'm thinking of installing ssd. Link for the laptop
http://www.thedostore.com/lenovo-laptops/ideapad-laptops/lenovo-ideapad-310-80tv00xxih.html
Can i install ssd by myself or it will void the warranty, or should i go to lenovo's service center and have it installed there.
Service center guy is saying if they will install the ssd, the service charge will be 1000INR, and the warranty will remain intact. Is he lying or its true?

Solution
All you need to do is to reinstall the optical drive before sending in the laptop for repairs if you get to that point.

You do not have to worry about power.

Aakash singh43

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014

So replacing the peripherals by myself will void the warranty. Does it void warranty if done through service center?

Generally speaking, you can replace the HDD with the SSD. However, if your laptop develops problems, then you need to reinstall the original hard drive before sending in the laptop to be serviced. Lenovo will not offer support if you send it back with the SSD because that is not part of the configuration when you purchased the laptop. Remove any additional RAM you installed is also a good idea.

Aakash singh43

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014

I want to install ssd in place of optical drive, i want extra space of hdd drive also. So i just have to put optical drive back and can have my laptop repaired if any thing goes wrong?
Do i have to keep the power rating of optical drive and ssd in mind also or the require same power?
This is my first laptop, so sorry for dumb questions. I have always dealt with desktop.
And one more thing it doesn't matter who put the ssd, i just have to replace it with original when going through RMA or they have some sort of warranty stickers on screws.