Can i make this on laptop

lmpi16

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
I've never had a laptop couse they really sucked in the past compared to the desktops. Now the situation is different - there are laptops which aren't 7 times more expensive than the desktop equivalent :) . So i decided to buy one and get rid of my desktop tower but i want to use my monitor sometimes for work so.... can i plug a keyboard , mouse and connect the monitor to the laptop and than close the laptop and than work- something like my laptop to become my new tower ?

AntiZig

Distinguished
yes you can do that, however, a desktop for the same price that you'd pay for a laptop would be able to get much better hardware. example, just out of the sky, if you get $800 laptop, the desktop for the same price would be roughly at least 2x faster/better on the hardware part.

basically saying that, if you need a desktop, don't try to buy a laptop to do its job, you'll just be disappointed.

lmpi16

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Tnx but i am interested only in cpu performance (not graphics) . Now you can pick i7 2630qm laptop about the same price as i5 2500 cpu desktop and if you don't overclock anything the cpu performance is very simillar.

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
On you laptop, click on the start button and search: Windows Mobility Center. Select display on monitor 2, not both at the same time. Click apply/done. With your peripherals connected, you laptop won't sleep when you close it. Don't forget to go to the control panel and adjust the resolution of monitor 2 to the correct monitor specification.

You said this was a productivity laptop, but if you get one with a decent AMD mobility GPU you can have eyefinity. That will give you two screens of work area instead one screen mirrored on the monitor.