Solved! Can i play games with highest settings on this laptop?

arpit_rathore7

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
I just bought a new gaming laptop MSI GX660. Just want to know that is it capable enough for playing the latest games on high settings at its maximum resolution of 1366*768. I want that it should play everything that I throw at it without any lags in graphic performance. Here are the specifications: PROCESSOR: core i5-460M, RAM: DDR3(2GB*2), GRAPHIC CARD: ATI Radeon HD5870(1GB DDR5 dedicated graphics), CHIPSET: PM55, HARD DISK: 500GB SATA @5400rpm, SCREEN/RESOLUTION: 15.6" HD, Glare (1366*768) LED

Solution
5870M performs between desktop 5750 and 5770,so it can handle all games maxed out at 1366x768 but in some games,you may need to lower(turn off) eyecandies(AA/AF) in order to get a smooth gameplay.

Avro Arrow

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
No laptop will let you play all games on their highest settings. They're laptops. My video cards alone weigh 1kg each. That's more or less the weight of an entire netbook. Do you really think that you have a chance at running games at their highest settings? This is why I call them "craptops". :sol:

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Ouch, I did not know that there was THAT much difference...
But as far as Laptop graphics processors go, the 5870M is one of the best single cards out there, ranking something like 14th overall - including SLI cards - so I would say you could play almost any game currently available on medium to high settings with no graphics lag.

xgamer2011

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
of course intel i series specailly design for games but ur only problem is that ur ram amount is low.if u want to play all latest games on ultra high setting so u should upgrade ur rm to 4gb then u will see how can ur laptop run all games on 'aximjum setting without any lags and crashes.

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
I am actually wondering about your Core i5-460M which is clocked at 2.53GHz dual core (with 2.8GHz turbo) or something. That is not the fastest thing around. Even the i7-720M is only a 1.73GHz quad core with 2.93GHz turbo...

arpit_rathore7

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
ya ,thats true. i5-460M is definitely not the fastest one around but the thing is that they are providing i7-740QM at an outrageously high price , so budget comes in the way in selecting between i5 and i7. but i think even i5 got enough firepower to hold on for at-least a year or so to play high end games smoothly(atleast till 2012,thats what i am hoping). what do you think about it?

You're thinking in the right direction. A couple years, at least.
Game developers can't afford to 'lock out' potential customers with mid-to-low end systems from buying their games.
You're looking at a very good dual core CPU and a near top end video card in what is a pretty high end combo for a laptop. Much better options than a quad core CPU and a downgraded GPU, IMO. To get better gaming performance without dropping a huge wad of cash you'd need to think about a desktop gaming system.

arpit_rathore7

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
Bingo mate, u've hit the nail on the head. Since I'm always working around changing places all the time , so mobile gaming is the best option for me,cant really rely on a PC gaming system.
So thats y i go with this laptop thinking that graphic card and processor are decent enough if not over the top and as max screen resolution that i have is 1366*768, so it kinda makes up for the mid range processor and most games can be played in at least medium settings if not high. Thats the actual thinking behind purchasing this laptop.

BeefBravo

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
You're fine with high settings. I don't think that those who are saying that it won't play most titles on high settings are taking the reduced resolution into account. The i5 will play most current games very well and the 5870 is more than up to snuff. The only games that I think may challenge your system are games relying on quad core performance, but the i5 does have 4 executionable threads so it may perform just fine.