Can I play music through HDMI and switch to DVD?

lessit

Estimable
Oct 13, 2015
I've connected a chromecast to my TV through a HDMI port. Is it possible to switch over to DVD and still hear the music from the HDMI source (the DVD will be muted obviously).

Solution
Two ways you might be able to use.
1. You would need a DVD player with both HDMI and component (or composite) video and analog audio outputs.
You would also need an HDMI audio extractor to derive an analog audio output from the chromecast.
You would connect the DVD to the TV twice. Once with HDMI for standard playback with DVD sound. Once with the other video connection and the audio from the HDMI extractor for DVD video and Chromecast audio.
2. If you had a soundbar or home theater system you could use the audio extractor to connect the Chromecast audio directly to the soundbar and select the audio your want by changing inputs. You would need an analog audio input for the chromecast and either ARC HDMI or optical input for the TV.
Two ways you might be able to use.
1. You would need a DVD player with both HDMI and component (or composite) video and analog audio outputs.
You would also need an HDMI audio extractor to derive an analog audio output from the chromecast.
You would connect the DVD to the TV twice. Once with HDMI for standard playback with DVD sound. Once with the other video connection and the audio from the HDMI extractor for DVD video and Chromecast audio.
2. If you had a soundbar or home theater system you could use the audio extractor to connect the Chromecast audio directly to the soundbar and select the audio your want by changing inputs. You would need an analog audio input for the chromecast and either ARC HDMI or optical input for the TV.

Solution