Can I replace my charger input

leo895

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
You would have to look at the power pack (I would be looking at this one anyway - do you really need 5m of cord to the Power pack?) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clover-Mains-Power-Cable-Metre/dp/B002CVBQFI/ref=pd_sim_ce_1
you may want to swap the fuse for a 3.5A one
What you are looking for on the power pack (the actual brick thing) is the statement - which I believe is not there - "Switching Power Adapter 100v-240v". Seems yours is specific to 125V so the adapter would be needed
I am assuming you're in the UK and the wall power is 240v
On a side note, you should be able to find a compatible Power Pack/cord combo somewhere there

leo895

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Hi thanks for the reply and no, 5m is a bit excessive.
The power adapter says an input of 100-240v ~ 1.6A and an output: 19v 4.78A (90W Max)
Thanks again

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
I'm not at all sure what you're trying to do. In order to use the cord you linked to you would need to replace the connector where the external power adapter plugs in. Replacing that connector is probably the most frequent laptop repair but replacing it with one that matches the linked to cable is (IMHO) impossible. I could site a variety of technical reason for my opinion but I won't unless you ask. If I wanted to use the linked to power supply with a US laptop I would cut the connector off the US power supply and the desired power supply and then splice the US connector onto the other wires. I hope that was clear.

I'm confused, I have quite a few of those type connector cords, they've all interchanged quite easily - I've always refered to them as "Micky Mouse Plugs".

Bad idea IMO as there's no reason for that, he's simply going from the wall to a power brick - the brick to laptop power jack is a hard wire and was taken care of by the manufacturer.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
C12Friedman has it right. The power adapter for most laptops including yours has a wide range input. Just find a cord that connects properly. You don't have to worry about changing fuses because the rating is for lowest voltage (100V). At 240V the amperage will automatically drop by about half. In fact the 13A fuse on the Amazon one is a bit too high, you may want to change it for a lower one (not sure what sizes are common in the UK). The link given for Amazon is perfect, don't know if you want to go with a 5M cord because it might cause other problems but if you need it :).

Hi :)

I own a laptop repair company in the UK....

Sorry, but you are wrong...

His laptop WILL pull 4.7 amps, and a 1.6 fuse WILL blow...(also not available in UK)

.............................................................................................................

To the OP (LEO) .... yes any cloverleaf lead will do.... and the 13 amp fuse in the UK mains plug will be fine...

We sell them for £1.95....

Any computer shop near you will have one...

All the best Brett :)

Please explain the electrical theory that allows the laptop to pull 4.7A at 240v (1128W?) ... as it is 1.6 allows 384W - only 90W output from the brick - is it that inefficient?
I'm confused

Hi :)

I sell these chargers in my shops, plus dozens of others...

Its a fairly standard 19 volt , 4.7 amp charger.... (NOT at 240 volts, that's mains voltage in the UK, the charger is 19 Volts)

All the best Brett :)

Lol, misunderstanding here I believe, not the one in the laptop. That would the brick's output, I'm talking about the fuse in the plug itself that plugs into the wall outlet which I believe is 240v, we want that at 1.6A