Can I upgrade my intel celeron j3455?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 3, 2018
I know some people think that the J3455 is a desktop cpu, but search T-bao X8S Pro in google. Then you'll know what I'm talking about. Anyway, Do you guys think that I can upgrade my intel J3455 into a G3930? I mean, they are both celeron's, or maybe I'm just being dumb. Please answer my question.

Solution
No you can't for a couple different reasons. It's an soc and all of them are soldered. I wouldn't call any soc a desktop cpu. It's an ooe architecture, same as atoms, and slapped with a celeron name. Even if soc weren't soldered and they used the same socket, they couldn't be compatible with desktop cpus because of architecture. They need different chipsets because of it.

On an off note, there are desktop cpus in laptops (and I'm not talking about low power ones as you can stick an 8700k in a laptop form factor if you really want to) and laptop cpus in desktops. They are just labels and welcome to the world of custom pcs.

k1114

Distinguished
No you can't for a couple different reasons. It's an soc and all of them are soldered. I wouldn't call any soc a desktop cpu. It's an ooe architecture, same as atoms, and slapped with a celeron name. Even if soc weren't soldered and they used the same socket, they couldn't be compatible with desktop cpus because of architecture. They need different chipsets because of it.

On an off note, there are desktop cpus in laptops (and I'm not talking about low power ones as you can stick an 8700k in a laptop form factor if you really want to) and laptop cpus in desktops. They are just labels and welcome to the world of custom pcs.

Solution

delaro

Distinguished
No they are not even close to the same die size, the only upgrades possible are the other J series. The J4105 which adds 2mb more cache or a J4005 which is a dual core but 2ghz instead of 1.5ghz. I can't see the cost is going to be worth it, your looking at $30 for the processor and $40 for someone to put it on. Microsoldering is a niche skill and not something just everybody can do.

delaro

Distinguished

You seem to not understand what Die size means.

G3930 Vs j3455
51W vs 10W

Die FC-LGA1151 37.5mm x 37.5mm vs Die FCBGA1296 24mm x 31mm

CPU Die is the physical size of the processing unit not the Lithography process, these CPU's are completely different not only in physical size but the thermal package is drastically different. I chose to simplify that for argument sake.

A g3930 and 7700k are both the same Die size and use the same 14mm Lithography process by the way as does the J series.

k1114

Distinguished

I never said anything about lithography or tdp. Tdp difference doesn't explain compatibility. Just because cpus are largely different in tdp doesn't make it incompatible. There are other sockets with larger 10 times vs this 5 times tdp differences with compatible cpus. I think you misunderstand how die size relates to compatibility. Both g3930 and 7700k are desktop, kaby lake, 14nm, 1151 cpus compatible with z170, h170, etc. These are different die sizes, they are not the same, yet completely compatible with each other and the same mobos. You can look at other cpus of compatible sockets/mobos and see even larger die size differences.

delaro

Distinguished

Just because cpus are largely different in tdp doesn't make it incompatible
Actually it does, your trying to compare a 10W mobile cpu to a 51W desktop cpu... There is a massive difference at every level of design.

There are other sockets with larger 10 times vs this 5 times tdp differences with compatible cpus. I think you misunderstand how die size relates to compatibility
Once again you fail to understand what "Die size is"... Physical size of the chip remains constant across the Socket regardless of the TDP, changing the Die size means changing how the pins line up therefore changing the socket. Does that mean you can't change pin designations on the same die? No LGA775 and LGA771 are based on the same die but with one minor difference that makes them normally incompatible.

H110/B150/Q150/H170/Q170/Z170/B250/Q250/H270/Q270/Z270/H310/B360/H370/Q370/Z370/Z390. The die size "37.5mm x 37.5mm" is exactly the same nothing has changed at the manufacturing level of the chips, the difference is on a software level and minor changes around the motherboards themselves.

Do you understand what die size is yet?

k1114

Distinguished
The celeron J is not a mobile cpu. They use the same dies on some mobile and desktop cpus. If you thought they were somehow different from the ground up, you are mistaken. Tdp differences come down to more simple adjustments, the same with desktop and mobile gpus. And again there are sockets with double the tdp difference than these 2 cpus and are still compatible.

You mixed package size with die size. I should have noticed it when you said 37.5mm before. That would be a huge die. You see that little silver part on a cpu? That's the die. Take off the ihs on desktop cpus and you will see the die. That silicon part that has the pins, that's the package and determines socket. Different dies are easily wired to the same corresponding pins on the package.

Status
Not open for further replies.