can I use a desktop HDD on a laptop

smokiestsea

Commendable
Dec 15, 2016
I just wanna know if it does work, I know it doesn't fit and all that.
I guess I can create an external case for the HDD and put it from the laptop out instead of being inside the laptop.
My problem is that my laptop HDD is slowly dying (it's slow and stutters I know is HDD cuz I have test it on a desktop and it gave me the same problems) I don't move my laptop from here to there or any of that stuff so if making it first HDD external will make it not transportable anymore I won't care at all so I want it to know does it work.

Note: both HDD are sata

Sorry for my English.

Solution
True, I don't like 2.5" drives for that reason either. I guess an SSD may be an option, but they are obviously a lot more expensive. I cant see any reason why it wont work myself, as long as you are cool with the mess it'd make!

smokiestsea

Commendable
Dec 15, 2016
The thing is that 2.5 HDD are more expensive and yet less memory and I already had 2 and gave me the same problem they fine like for 2 years then stutters and everything

Multipack

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
True, I don't like 2.5" drives for that reason either. I guess an SSD may be an option, but they are obviously a lot more expensive. I cant see any reason why it wont work myself, as long as you are cool with the mess it'd make!

Solution

BadAsAl

Distinguished

What model drives failed after 2 years? Did you run some tests on them to confirm (CrystalDiskInfo and Seatools are 2 I rely on) that it is hardware and not something else?

I have seen both 2.5" and 3.5" drives fail and most of them have been one brand. To the point where I am genuinely surprised to find a failing drive that isn't this brand.

Get a good rated 2.5" and spend the extra money, any savings in my mind isn't worth the messing around and the extra hardware you are going to have to do to make a 3.5" drive work on a laptop without using the USB interface.

smokiestsea

Commendable
Dec 15, 2016
They were both Toshiba I don't remember the exact model tho.

And I will check with a desktop HDD then if it works i I'll let you know and Mark your awnser as solution (I don't really care about the mess at all)