Solved! Can I use a ZTE Quest N817 phone with Tracfone's BYOP Sim Activation Kit?

Jul 19, 2018
I got a free ZTE Quest N817 phone when I was accepted by the Lifeline program through Assurance Wirelessin 2015. I could never activate the phone because I could not receive a signal at my home, so the phone has remained useless. I just want a cell phone for emergency only when driving..and a friend in my area suggested Tracfone because they have a very inexpensive plan for $20 every 90 days. I called Tracfone and they told me to get one of these SIM activation kits and then they would guide me through the process. The SIM cards that come in the Kit Kat allow you to choose Verison, AT&T and T Mobile. I think I would choose Verison because my wireless home phone through AT&T is less than perfect. Do you think this older ZTE phone will work with the Tracfone SIM card?

Solution
That depends on which network Tracfone uses in your are. In some they use a GSM network (AT&T, T-Mobile, etc. are GSM networks). And in other areas they use a CDMA neetwork (Sprint, Verizon, etc. are CDMA networks). Phones are not interchangeable. So you first need to figure out if your phone is CDMA or GSM. When using it on that program, you would still be using it through a network from another carrier/service provider, like those listed above. So you need to figure out what carrier/service provider network the phone was originally using. Assurance isn't its own network, they use the network of other companies.

If you can't figure it out, then just contact Tracfone, or try the steps here to check it...
That depends on which network Tracfone uses in your are. In some they use a GSM network (AT&T, T-Mobile, etc. are GSM networks). And in other areas they use a CDMA neetwork (Sprint, Verizon, etc. are CDMA networks). Phones are not interchangeable. So you first need to figure out if your phone is CDMA or GSM. When using it on that program, you would still be using it through a network from another carrier/service provider, like those listed above. So you need to figure out what carrier/service provider network the phone was originally using. Assurance isn't its own network, they use the network of other companies.

If you can't figure it out, then just contact Tracfone, or try the steps here to check it... https://www.tracfone.com/activation/coveragecheck

Solution
Jul 19, 2018
Thank you . I appreciate your input. I checked the phone and it says CDMA as a choice of network type.....so....maybe that is why the phone never worked three years ago. It might have been trying to synchronize with my wireless home phone by AT&T or maybe back then Verison coverage hadn't hit my neck of the woods. I live rather rural. I called Assurance and they confirmed that the phone is unlocked. The SIM activation Kit comes with SIM cards for all three main carriers...and my friend brought her Jitterbug phone to my house yesterday, which uses Verizon and she called my home phone on her phone in my kitchen and she got a signal and we could hear each other. So, I am going to pursue this idea of mine and try it. For a $5.00 kit there really isn't much to lose. The phone is a 3G smart phone but the kit says: 3G and 4G compatible on it, so there is hope.

Jul 19, 2018
Well, since you asked....I signed up with the Lifeline program again and was sent a similar ZTE android phone which is a more recent model and I guess cell signals have improved a bit since 2015... I used Qlink instead of Assurance wireless....and it works! It is Sprint so not a consistent signal but I will take it in the car with me and see how it does in the hood. So, for now I am not going to be using the older phone and trying to link it to Tracfone.....but that is still an option if this go 'round fails. Wish me luck! For people looking to get a free phone and free minutes, data, etc...Qlink is the way to go. Easy Peasy!