Can I use an external CD drive to plug into a car USB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sutt91

Estimable
Dec 8, 2015
Hi all, my dad recently got a new car and didn't think to check the spec for a cd player. Is it possible to buy an external CD reader (quite cheap online designed for laptops) and plug into the USB port in the car for the sound to run through the cars speakers? Thanks!

Rogue Leader

Distinguished
Doesn't work like that, That port is for data. In theory if the CD were burnt as a data disc and filled with MP3's maybe it would work, but thats the only way. That said many auto USB ports are low amp and may not have the juice to run a CD drive.

As answered above. No drivers for CD, not enough power for CD, and it wouldn't work with the car is in motion anyway.
Car CD players have a large buffer to hold the audio before playing so if you go over a bump you don't hear the player skip.
I would suggest you rip you Dads CDs and load them on a USB drive.

alphakhoa

Estimable
Dec 8, 2015
Agree with answers above, there is no driver through USB port on your car, so Media center on your car won't recognize external CD drive. I tried with Toyota Innova.

Christina66

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016

Christina66

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016
Hi there, I tried this. I used a data disc, burned mp3's on the disc, placed it in my portable drive, plugged it into my usb port in my vehicle and it wouldn't play. :(

Rogue Leader

Distinguished

I did say "in theory" I'm not surprised it didn't work. As mentioned the port is usually low amp so it won't run a portable player.

If you have additional questions please start a new post.

Status
Not open for further replies.