Question Will I still get audio support if I buy a USB A male to USB C female adapter and plug a USB C to 3.5MM dongle into it? (

Jul 9, 2022
I realize this is a confusing mess of a question... Sorry. Basically, I have a Windows 10 laptop with only USB A 3.0 ports and a broken headphone jack that I can't really afford to fix. I'd like USB A to C adapters for it anyway, just in case I need them for something else, since USB C only peripherals are becoming more common. But these adapters say they don't support Video or Audio signals, only data transfer and charging.

Does that mean that if I try to plug Apple's USB C to 3.5MM audio dongle into the female end of an adapter like this, I won't get sound from it? I know that the Apple dongle has a DAC in it, so if all it needs for input is data I should be fine, right? But most of these USB A to C adapters specifically say that they don't support digital audio output. They mention that if you try to plug a USB A to HDMI/display port adapter into them for instance, neither video nor audio will work, where as I believe you can use a direct USB A to HDMI just fine normally... So does this only apply to video streams then?

A good example of the kind of adapter I'm talking about can be found here:
https://www.amazon.com/SAILLIN-High-Speed-Transmission-Double-Sided-Compatible/dp/B09G2B6FL1/ref=sr_1_28?keywords=usb-a+to+usb-c+adapter&qid=1657406872&refinements=p_72:1248879011,p_85:2470955011,p_36:401-&rnid=386442011&rps=1&s=electronics&sr=1-28&th=1

I know what you all are probably thinking. why not just get a regular USB A to 3.5MM dongle instead, and bypass the USB C requirement entirely. Well, based on my research, the Apple one is a really good bang for the buck in terms of audio quality, with most comparable USB A devices costing upwards of $50 and being much larger. I'm getting tired of spending all this money on bad sounding USB A to 3.5MM adapters from Trond, Ugreen, Startech, Cable Creations ETC that ruin my enjoyment of music. I don't like it, but if I want a foolproof answer to my audio quality issue, this seems like the ticket.

Please help me with this stupid mess if you can, I would really appreciate it. LOL

Last edited:
I realize this is a confusing mess of a question... Sorry. Basically, I have a Windows 10 laptop with only USB A 3.0 ports and a broken headphone jack that I can't really afford to fix. I'd like USB A to C adapters for it anyway, just in case I need them for something else, since USB C only peripherals are becoming more common. But these adapters say they don't support Video or Audio signals, only data transfer and charging.

Does that mean that if I try to plug Apple's USB C to 3.5MM audio dongle into the female end of an adapter like this, I won't get sound from it? I know that the Apple dongle has a DAC in it, so if all it needs for input is data I should be fine, right? But most of these USB A to C adapters specifically say that they don't support digital audio output. They mention that if you try to plug a USB A to HDMI/display port adapter into them for instance, neither video nor audio will work, where as I believe you can use a direct USB A to HDMI just fine normally... So does this only apply to video streams then?

A good example of the kind of adapter I'm talking about can be found here:
https://www.amazon.com/SAILLIN-High-Speed-Transmission-Double-Sided-Compatible/dp/B09G2B6FL1/ref=sr_1_28?keywords=usb-a+to+usb-c+adapter&qid=1657406872&refinements=p_72:1248879011,p_85:2470955011,p_36:401-&rnid=386442011&rps=1&s=electronics&sr=1-28&th=1

I know what you all are probably thinking. why not just get a regular USB A to 3.5MM dongle instead, and bypass the USB C requirement entirely. Well, based on my research, the Apple one is a really good bang for the buck in terms of audio quality, with most comparable USB A devices costing upwards of $50 and being much larger. I'm getting tired of spending all this money on bad sounding USB A to 3.5MM adapters from Trond, Ugreen, Startech, Cable Creations ETC that ruin my enjoyment of music. I don't like it, but if I want a foolproof answer to my audio quality issue, this seems like the ticket.

Please help me with this stupid mess if you can, I would really appreciate it. LOL

Best place to ask this would be the Q/A of the product you are looking to get or search the reviews for anyone that tried it.

Creative Labs makes several small USB sound card that should be better than the cheap generics but cheaper than the higher end stuff like the DragonFly https://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster?filters=1199