Question Connecting 3.5mm output (projector) to digital input (soundbar). Please Help!

Jul 6, 2022
Hi.

I am trying to connect my ViewSonic PX701-4K projector to a recently purchased soundbar (Samsung HWA550), and I am really struggling!

There is only a 3.5mm audio output on the projector, and the soundbar has 4 inputs. Hdmi, hdmi arc, optical audio, and USB. There is also Bluetooth but the audio lag is awful.
I have tried using a 3.5mm to optical adaptor (cheap amazon job) with no success.
I have also tried a 3.5mm to USB adaptor, again with no success.

I have a feeling that I need some kind of converter to change the signal from analog to digital... but I'm fairly clueless and I may be making that up entirely.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance

Soundbar has HDMI to TV port. Connect the source to the soundbar HDMI, connect the HDMI TO TV port to the projector. If that does not work then route the source audio out to the soundbar, not from the projector see if that works.

You did not list what 3.5 mm to optical adapter you tried, but you would need something powered like this https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Conv...t=&hvlocphy=9001809&hvtargid=pla-870330680562 You may have just gotten a faulty one, or don't have the cables seated properly.