Solved! Can I use an external monitor with my laptop

TKU

Aug 14, 2019
I have a Razer Blade 15, and was planning on getting an external monitor so I can have two displays. I did some looking around, and found that it is possible to do so. My only concerns are that the GPU (GTX 1060) will do a lot of work and won't be able to get as much quality in gaming if I'm using a second monitor. So I wanted to clarify my doubts before I went ahead and bought a monitor.

1. Will the graphics card be stretching its limits?
  2. What are any other disadvantages of using a second monitor on a laptop?
  3. As a Razer Blade has a Type-C port, would it be recommended that I get a Type-C port for it as it's faster? (If so, which cable would I have to get for that port?)

Thanks for your help in advance!!

Solution
Video card will be doing more work only if you run the both screens in games stretched, which is a bad idea in any case.
There are no disadvantages to using a second monitor, although if your monitor and screen are run at different refresh rates it can cause issues with games in some cases
You don't need to use the USB C port, just connect the monitor to the video out with HDMI or whatever output your laptop has.
Video card will be doing more work only if you run the both screens in games stretched, which is a bad idea in any case.
There are no disadvantages to using a second monitor, although if your monitor and screen are run at different refresh rates it can cause issues with games in some cases
You don't need to use the USB C port, just connect the monitor to the video out with HDMI or whatever output your laptop has.

Solution

TKU

Aug 14, 2019

Thanks for the advice! Do you mean my laptop's refresh rate? It's 60 Hz from what I've checked, and I was planning on getting a 240 HZ monitor. I'm not planning on stretching the screen on both screens. So will that cause issues?

Thanks for the advice! Do you mean my laptop's refresh rate? It's 60 Hz from what I've checked, and I was planning on getting a 240 HZ monitor. I'm not planning on stretching the screen on both screens. So will that cause issues?

Getting a 240 hz screen for a laptop would be a waste, it is not likely that your video out will run it at near that. 144 is fine, no need to spend extra money on a higher refresh screen.

As long as the laptop screen is closed when you use the external monitor there won't be any issues. With both screens in use there are a lot of people talking about getting stuttering in games or flicker on the screen when using monitors where the refresh rate does not match.