Can I use an external sound card to record vinyl to a Laptop?

Charles_64

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016
I have a Denon TT with an RCA cable with the right and left plugs. I have an Asus Xonar U7 external sound card. Can I use it to record from the TT to a laptop computer? If so, what do I need to make that happen? I am rather new to this and need some advice. I also have a Berhringer UCA222 to act as a USB preamp between the RCA cable and the computer. It does work and I have done some recording but am not thrilled with the result. Is this preamp all that is needed? That is, is the Xonar superfluous for recording or would it produce a better recorded sound? Thanks for any help.

If your TT doesn't have a built in phone preamp you would need a vinyl ripping program that provides the RIAA phono EQ required for proper playback or an external phono preamp. Without the EQ the record would sound horrible.
IF your Denon TT has a built in phone preamp you can be able to connect it directly to your sound card. Whether is will sound better depends on the quality of the ADC on the card. Often not a big priority, Try it and see.
If you are using self powered speakers you can connect the TT directly to them. That way you will know what the TT sounds like without the PC.

Charles_64

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016
Thanks. The Denon does not have a preamp so I can use a USB preamp, the Behringer, for example, to provide the RIAA and the amplification. My question is, can I use an external sound card instead or in addition to the USB preamp. If so, it is not clear from anything I have read or seen about the Xonar how to physically connect the Denon to the Xonar and then to the computer. I'm afraid the Xonar is designed for much more than I need it for which is just to record to the computer but I can't tell given my lack of experience.