Can i use my laptop on AC power all the time?

ChadPereira001

Commendable
Nov 1, 2016
Hi I have a Acer TravelMate TMP258-M and i always work on it. I didn't notice that it had a built in battery. Is it okay to work on the laptop when its 100% on AC power switch off the laptop and unplug from AC then go the next day plug it back into the AC and start working again?

Solution
For normal uses you can use the ac power. If you intent to be doing gaming or heavy 3D work, then the battery will get worn out. The amount of damage will depend on the laptop. If it is designed for stationary use then you won't have to worry about it, if on the other hand it is an ultrabook like a macbook air then I would not recommend it.

ChadPereira001

Commendable
Nov 1, 2016
MERGED QUESTION
Question from ChadPereira001 : "Can I use my laptop on AC all the time?"

Hi I have a Acer TMP258-M Laptop with a built in battery. I want to know if i can always use it on AC as i work on my laptop alot. Can I use it on AC the whole day switch off my laptop at the end of the day and unplug it from the AC then come in the next day and plug it in to the AC then switch it on? Would it damage the battery? Is it recommended for heavy uses with built in batteries?

For normal uses you can use the ac power. If you intent to be doing gaming or heavy 3D work, then the battery will get worn out. The amount of damage will depend on the laptop. If it is designed for stationary use then you won't have to worry about it, if on the other hand it is an ultrabook like a macbook air then I would not recommend it.

Solution
You did not know a laptop has battery? {gasp!}

If you NEVER use the battery, I say take it out completely then you don't have to worry about it, but sounds like you need it a little when transporting form outlet to outlet, unless you power down completely, move, re-power.

Batteries need to "exercise" (discharge) once in a while, also not 24/7 constantly on-charge, these will shorten its life. At least unplug it when you are done for the day.