Can I use Xcode on an old Macbook air/pro

tudor_3

Prominent
May 13, 2017
Im looking to buy a macbook air/pro but im on a budget, im looking to buy one from the ~2012 models. I want to use Xcode on it but i dont know whether it will work on old models or whether it works on all models. Thank you

Solution
Going by your budget and sold prices on eBay in Europe. The best models I think you can get at auction with at least 8GB RAM and 256 GB SSD are the 2014 MacBook Air and 2014 Macbook Pro 13 Retina. Although it will be easier to find a 2013 model for that budget from better known sellers.

XCode versions are heavily tied to OS X versions. Originally it came as part of the operating system. It was an optional install but it was apart of it. Now it is an optional download but Apple still pairs it with the current OS X version. It started out life as "Developer Tools" then was rebadged XCode with Mac OS X 10.3.

Technically, you can run XCode 1.0 on a G3 iMac with 128MB RAM running Mac OS X 10.3. So, that is the minimum requirements for...
XCode should work on any Mac which meets its OS requirements. So the XCode for High Sierra should work on any Mac running High Sierra. How well it will run is another matter.

Not sure what your budget is. If you are looking at a used computer store. Look at eBay instead. You'll get a newer Mac for the money. Also consider an iMac. The bigger screen would be nice. Not sure how the prices compare. Just make sure anything you get meets the requirements for Mojave. Don't get a Macbook Air at least only get the 8GB RAM model. The MBP is faster and the non-retina model can get a cheap used RAM upgrade and cheap SATA SSD upgrade.

tudor_3

Prominent
May 13, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from tudor_3 : "Best place to buy a macbook (400-500€)"

Im looking to buy a macbook air/pro mainly for XCODE use. Although i am on a budget of around €400-500, im wondering 1. Which macbook to get? 2. Where to get it? 3. Oldest OS X version in which XCode will work. Feel free for suggestions and thank you!

Going by your budget and sold prices on eBay in Europe. The best models I think you can get at auction with at least 8GB RAM and 256 GB SSD are the 2014 MacBook Air and 2014 Macbook Pro 13 Retina. Although it will be easier to find a 2013 model for that budget from better known sellers.

XCode versions are heavily tied to OS X versions. Originally it came as part of the operating system. It was an optional install but it was apart of it. Now it is an optional download but Apple still pairs it with the current OS X version. It started out life as "Developer Tools" then was rebadged XCode with Mac OS X 10.3.

Technically, you can run XCode 1.0 on a G3 iMac with 128MB RAM running Mac OS X 10.3. So, that is the minimum requirements for XCode. If you want to run the current XCode 9.4, which I assume you want. You will need to run macOS 10.13 High Sierra. While the beta version of XCode 10 runs in High Sierra. Odds are the final release will require macOS 10.14 Mojave.

Solution