Can my laptop support DDR4 ram?

JobsforFun

Estimable
Jul 27, 2015
The laptop I bought for college (laptop is going to be used for school work and general web browsing no gaming or anything) only came with 4GB of RAM I want to get a single 8GB stick of RAM to upgrade to but I don't know if I should get DDR4 or DDR3. And also any RAM that you might reccomend please feel free to post them, I have never bought laptop RAM before only desktop. (other wise I will probably buy the top results on amazon which are made by Crucial)

Here is what it says in the manual online in a screen shot: https://i.imgur.com/T2Pf4dm.png

And here is the manual link in full: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05227786

Solution
Oh well, if you've voided the warranty already, you might as well go ahead, hehe.

So HP apparently only put that sentence regarding inaccessible RAM in their manual to keep people from doing exactly what you've done, lol.
I thought they had somehow disabled the opening of RAM slots for real.

If you use the exact same memory from the same vendor there is a good chance the two RAM modules will work together ... but there never is a guarantee that they will.
If they don't and you still want those 8GB, buy a 2x4GB Kit ... that is guaranteed to function.

Cheers,
Gaius

gaius_iulius

Prominent
Sep 6, 2017
Before you worry about getting DDR3 or DDR4 memory, or about the manufacturer of that memory, you should probably take a minute to consider the meaning of

"non-customer-accessible / non-upgradable memory module slots"

in the imgur screenshot you linked.

To me that sounds like you (the customer) can not access (and hence not upgrade) the laptop's memory.

What does it sound like to you?

Scottray

Respectable
Jul 14, 2016
Page 46 of the manual is pretty clear on the RAM that you need - it depends on the CPU you have. Look up the HP part numbers are be sure to get equivalent RAM is regards to ddr3 or ddr4, speed and timing. Also, realize that you'll need to disassembly your laptop and it may void the warranty.

JobsforFun

Estimable
Jul 27, 2015

Well I have already opened the laptop so the 1 year warranty is more than likely voided but the RAM is clearly visible and I can take out the current 4GB stick that is in the laptop currently and put it back in without any complications. Also if I order RAM for the laptop and it doesn't work I can just send it back it isn't to big of a deal. Is it no questions asked that any RAM I order wont work? I found the same stick of RAM that is in the laptop currently on amazon but instead of it being from KOREA its from China for about 24$

gaius_iulius

Prominent
Sep 6, 2017
Oh well, if you've voided the warranty already, you might as well go ahead, hehe.

So HP apparently only put that sentence regarding inaccessible RAM in their manual to keep people from doing exactly what you've done, lol.
I thought they had somehow disabled the opening of RAM slots for real.

If you use the exact same memory from the same vendor there is a good chance the two RAM modules will work together ... but there never is a guarantee that they will.
If they don't and you still want those 8GB, buy a 2x4GB Kit ... that is guaranteed to function.

Cheers,
Gaius

Solution

JobsforFun

Estimable
Jul 27, 2015

Should I just get DDR3 then? Any difference between 1 8gb stick and 2 4gb sticks I am sure there isn't but I am not to knowledge on RAM? The reviews on the stick of RAM are pretty bad so I dunno if I would want to order the same kind that is in it.

gaius_iulius

Prominent
Sep 6, 2017
Without knowing which motherboard you have I can't tell you which RAM it supports.

However if you get the same type of RAM at the same frequency that is already used by your laptop, it should work.

As to the difference between 1x8GB and 2x4GB ... that depends on whether your mobo uses Dual Channel or not. In any case, there will not be a huge difference.

You should really get the exact make and model of your mobo before buying new memory, to avoid unpleasant surprises.

TRENDING THREADS