Can running my laptop on A.C. power with a dead battery hurt my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonogib1

Prominent
Jun 14, 2017
I have a XPS M1530 with a dead battery. Will running on A.C. power with battery on it cause damage to PC? Is it better to remove battery?

Solution
If the battery isn't charging and the charger is dumping current into a battery that won't charge, it will cause excessive heating inside the chassis. And the power supply running under full load all the time isn't exactly great for it.

A truly damaged battery is a fire hazard, so replacing it or removing it is a good idea.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
If the battery isn't charging and the charger is dumping current into a battery that won't charge, it will cause excessive heating inside the chassis. And the power supply running under full load all the time isn't exactly great for it.

A truly damaged battery is a fire hazard, so replacing it or removing it is a good idea.

Solution
If the battery does not charge, the circuit inside the battery does not draw any current from the adapter to the battery. Thus, no excessive heating, no full charging of the adapter, no risk of fire, no need to replace or remove if you never use the battery.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald

Not quite what I meant by not charging. I mean attempting to charge but not succeeding due to older cells that need a constant input to maintain a voltage.

findlay_11

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017

Recently while i was playing a game my pc shut down , then when boot back up my battery was saying 0% and it wouldnt charge so the battery was dead, but when i try to play a game or even go on youtube i am having fps problems and that never happened once when my battery was ok , do the pc shut down some stuff because the battery is not ok? Becuse i cant play anymore game i used to be playing while it was ok now

findlay_11

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017

Well i did took the battery out and turn the pc on , still had the fps issue

Status
Not open for further replies.