Can someone help me out

Status
Not open for further replies.

crow11ad

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
be improved. Hello all. My dad is getting a new laptop and he is sending me his one he has now. He sent me the specs on it and I wanted to share and asks some questions as I have not really messed with laptops all that much.

Now keep in mind my dad bought this in 2003.

It's an M-Tech 8588 XTRA
16" 1280 X 1024 with Radeon 9600 pro
Fully Upgradeable and configurable Workstation class notebook
FSB800 Intel Pentium 4
Up to 320 Gig hard drive (with 4 physical drives) and supports raid 0, and raid 1
up to 2 physical optical drives (it has a dvd/cd rw burner and a dvd rom
Has 10/100/1000 Ethernet, 802.11g (11mps/54mps)
On Audio it has 6 channel audio output, direct sound 3d accelerator, virtual ac3, s/pdif output for dvd coaxil audio
1x dvi video output, 4x usb 2.0, 1x firewire, 1 tv out, 1x video in, built in mic, speakers, internal tv tuner with remote, 6-1 media card reader
Internal portable mp3 palyer with SD card
Internal IP sharing modual
2nd hard drive bracket
3rd and 4th hard drive bracket
12v car inverter and a also has a place for finger scanning...and Windows Xp...

Now some of my questions

Being as this is 2003 technology, I still have not seen a laptop with this type of specifications. Now I know it says it's fully customizable and upgradeable...

1)do you think I would be able to upgrade the mother board with a better processor and graphics and if so where to buy a mother board that would fit everything?

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this laptop and any suggestions you may have.

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Generally laptop motherboards don't get upgraded like with PC's.It is a decent machine considering it's age.Why would you want to upgrade the motherboard anyway?

The upgraded mobo would allow for newer dual core processors and better graphics. This is most likely an issue that you need to contact M-Tech for. You may be able to find stuff on e-bay, but I tend not to trust e-bay for expensive electronics and such.

ibleet

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007

You said a mouthful there...I could not agree more!

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007

Lol I have to agree. Made the mistake of ordering a CPU from there in August. It never actually arrived. I did manage to get a refund approved a couple of days ago. Sigh. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.