Can the HDMI pass through to the TV when the Receiver is off

Feb 18, 2018
So far I have been unable to get a solid answer to the question if "any" receiver is off, will the HDMI continue to pass through to the TV to provide video and audio through the TV speakers. Generally, it is not really necessary to have the surround sound on all the time or even the receivers stereo. I say this because my wife does not want to bother with turning on the receiver all the time and actually doesn't really care about the better sound. All she wants is the speaker to TV. I usually initiate turning the receiver on.

I used the word "any" if there are receivers out there that would just pass through if the receiver is turned off. So far I do not want to buy a HDMI receiver due to this problem. I currently have an older Yamaha surround sound speakers with no HDMI ports. I thought it might be nice to run HDMI from my computer to the receiver, rather than just using the red/white via an audio cable to computers speaker output.

Solution
It sounds like you want something calld ARC - audio return channel. This is an HDMI port on some TVs which will output audio. Then instead of hooking it up cable box -> receiver -> TV, you hook it up cable box -> TV -> receiver. When you want your surround speakers on, you turn on the receiver. If you don't need the surround speakers, you just leave the receiver off and get sound only from the TV.

https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-audio-return-channel-arc/

If your TV doesn't have ARC, another option is to get a Logitech Harmony Hub + remote (currently marketed as the Harmony Smart Control or Harmony Home Companion). This is a universal remote, but one which combines multiple remote functions into one button.

So for...
It sounds like you want something calld ARC - audio return channel. This is an HDMI port on some TVs which will output audio. Then instead of hooking it up cable box -> receiver -> TV, you hook it up cable box -> TV -> receiver. When you want your surround speakers on, you turn on the receiver. If you don't need the surround speakers, you just leave the receiver off and get sound only from the TV.

https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-audio-return-channel-arc/

If your TV doesn't have ARC, another option is to get a Logitech Harmony Hub + remote (currently marketed as the Harmony Smart Control or Harmony Home Companion). This is a universal remote, but one which combines multiple remote functions into one button.

So for example, you program the "watch TV" button to use the cable box, receiver, and TV. When you click that button (in lieu of an On switch), it turns all three devices on and changes their input settings (so the receiver accepts input from the cable box, and the TV accepts input from the receiver). If you then click the "listen to radio" button, it will turn the TV and cable box off, leave the receiver on, and change the receiver to FM radio input. If you click the "watch Blu-ray" button, it will turn the TV back on, turn on the Blu-ray player, and change the appropriate input settings again. It turns off equipment that's not needed, turns on what's needed, and change the devices to the correct inputs for that activity - all with a single button press.

https://www.cnet.com/products/logitech-harmony-smart-control/
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-harmony-home-companion-black/8201008.p?skuId=8201008

The initial setup is a bit of a pain, but it vastly simplifies life with multiple entertainment devices. When I got mine,
I couldn't believe I'd been missing out on it for years. The remote is also RF instead of IR, so will work even if you're not pointing it at the device, or even from a different room (beware this means it will also work if it falls between the seat cushions and you sit on it). The button layout on the Home Companion remote is better, with the DVR buttons on the bottom. So I'd recommend it over the Smart Control even if you don't have home automation devices.

Solution

boju

Distinguished
Arc returns audio from tv to avr, an alternative to using optical for better hd sound but the source needs to be connected to tv directly and not the amp.

If want avr as first connection whats needed is an avr that can passthrough video and sound to tv while in standby.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1217681-what-avr-s-support-hdmi-passthrough-so-tv-input-works-when-standby.html#/topics/1217681?page=2

Its an old thread with old avr models but the standby feature did exist so newer models today should allow easier standby passthrough options without too much handling of the remote.

Im not sure of which avr models, id have to look but key feature to look for is standby passthrough.

Feb 18, 2018

Thanks for such a detail response. I am just wondering if I am looking at this right. I was interested in this Yamaha Receiver (RX-V383) at BestBuy. It has a HDMI ARC out, so I am assuming the receiver also has to have this HDMI ARC to make this work? This HDMI ARC on the receiver has to go to the HDMI ARC on the TV. Then, you connect the cable box directly to one of the HDMI ports on the TV, as opposed to the HDMI inputs of the receiver, if I am understanding you right. This way when the receiver is off, the cable box is connected straight to the TV and will continue to work as it is but if you turn the receiver on, the TV sound will go through the receiver; however, you would have to mute the TV so that the speakers of the TV are not on. Actually, that is what I do now with my non-HDMI yamaha by muting the TV when the receiver is on, since both speakers will play.

boju

Distinguished
A receiver with hdmi out with arc can also act as an hdmi input if arc is also a feature from the tv. Both tv and avr needs to support arc.

Just an example of arc and hdmi channels. Tvs that support arc usually have only one hdmi port that can do it, so for example sake lets imagine hdmi 3 on the tv has arc support. Arc will be labelled.

So you could have a ps4 connected to hdmi 1 on the tv. Tv hdmi 3 is arc so youd connect that to the avr's hdmi out/arc.

Hdmi arc receiver & tv - you should never need to manually mute tv - receiver on - sound through receiver, reciever off - sound through TV , this should be automatic.

As said , the feature you want is standby passthrough .
As far as I know , none of the yamaha 300 series have this feature so I would look at other models.

The 481 is what you want , same price , far more features.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/yamaha-725w-5-1-ch-network-ready-4k-ultra-hd-and-3d-pass-through-a-v-home-theater-receiver-black/5017800.p?skuId=5017800

Feb 18, 2018

So after you connect the HDMI ARC out from the receiver to the HDMI ARC input of the TV, where should you connect the Cable box? Should the cable box go into the "input" of the receiver or directly in the TV as Solandri suggested in order to accomplish this pass through I want? I hate buying something, opening the box and returning it. I am trying to make the best informative decision. Your suggestion of the Yamaha sounds very promising for my goal. It is actually $10 less than the one I mentioned.

Feb 18, 2018

So after you connect the HDMI ARC out from the receiver to the HDMI ARC input of the TV, where should you connect the Cable box? Should the cable box be going into the "input" of the receiver or directly in the TV as Solandri suggested in order to accomplish this pass through? The Yamaha you suggested sounds very promising to accomplish my goal.

All source boxes into the yamaha receiver mate.

Barely any new model tv's will pass surround audio from external sources via arc now (dolby surround licencing costs the tv manufacturers money)

If you plugged cable box to TV then you'd very lilely only get stereo audio to the reciever.

I have a sony reciever with the same standby pass through - I have

Nintendo wii u
Android tv box
Satellite receiver
Xbox one
Gaming htpc setup

All plugged into the receiver

If reciever is on I get surround audio through home theatre speakers & tv speakers are automatically muted.

If receiver is off (on auto standby the tv speakers are enabled automatically )

The yamaha 481 will do exactly the same , infact it'll do a lot more once you've set it up properly.

IanSmithCA

Estimable
Aug 7, 2015

IanSmithCA

Estimable
Aug 7, 2015
I don't understand your solution Solandri. If I feed the cable box directly to the TV, how do I switch to the other inputs connected to the receiver?? Are you suggesting I use the TV to switch inputs?

Your answer is contradicted by other answers here, suggesting cable box -> receiver -> hdmi/arc to the TV, which seems much more intuitive. Yet some mark your answer as correct. Can you please help me to understand?

rayi23

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
I opted to get the Yamaha 481 as madmax30 suggested which works out very well for my purposes. I am able to use the TV's speakers, when the Yamaha 481 is turned completely off because it has a pass through function, however. the manual uses the term "Standby Through" if you need to look it up; it does not say pass through. One of the HDMI on the receivers ports say ARC and I plug that into the TV with a ARC HDMI port. I then plug all my devices into the other HDMI ports, computer, Bluray, etc. However, this pass through function is off by default for some reason, so you have to turn it on. I have no idea why this pass through function would be off by default. I imagine the receiver must stay on enough to allow enough power to the HDMI ports for them to work while turned off. I am able to go to the various HDMI ports without the receiver being on which is nice because I don't necessarily need the surround sound on for things like the news or even on the internet for somethings. Oddly the Verizon remote works with it without doing anything.The Yamaha RX-V683 according to yamaha tech support also has pass through. The RX-V683 could be overkill for me but it is has some pretty interesting advanced features. Lots of buttons on the remote. It is 7.1 which I would I would never use. I actually now only use 3.1 surround sound for the time being. I bought Klipsch reference 5 1/4 bookshelp speakers R-15m speakers, the Klipish R-10SW due to space constraints. I got a polk center speakers used because they fit into the place where I wanted to place them. Klipsch center speakers were too large but the polk T30 seems adequate. I have yet to add decent back speakers.