Can we hook up IP cameras in two completely locations with ONE DVR?

Jul 27, 2018
Hello!
I currently have Firstrend Wireless Security cameras, and we Have two different stores that we're trying to get them set up on; One store currently has four and an NVR, and the other store, Has 4, but NO NVR. Is there a way we can connect to it wirelessly without an NVR? or should we go out and order a new one?
I want to ensure our business is fully covered, but I also don't want to get in trouble for needing to order more parts :( (lol)
Thanks! :ange:

Solution
MERGED QUESTION
Question from csbrandonauto : "Can I set up my IP Cameras in two completely different locations with only one NVR?"

With the right network hardware you could create a VPN between the two stores. Then the cameras in the second store would...

USAFRet

Illustrious
Presumably the two locations are too far apart for actual WiFi connectivity?

In that case, the place with 4 cameras and no NVR needs...something.
Either they need to talk to a WiFi source, which can connect over the internet to some other device you control.

or
Those 4 cameras need their own NVR.

The dedicated NVR would be the cheapest and easiest.

Jul 27, 2018
Right, They're too far apart to share their own WiFi Connection. As in, two other states.
We do have an App Called Danale, Which allows us to view the cameras that are already connected to the NVR.
And the cameras do have cloud support (I guess? said it on the box.)
I will post the links to the cameras, hopefully that might help.

http://

USAFRet

Illustrious
Right.
They need to talk to some local device....an NVR.
That NVR can then talk over the internet to wherever.

But...I'm personally NOT a fan of WiFi security cameras. WiFi just increases the attack surface. And the security of all these inexpensive setups is abysmal.

Hardcoded default admin passwords, poor security protocols...

kanewolf

Judicious
MERGED QUESTION
Question from csbrandonauto : "Can I set up my IP Cameras in two completely different locations with only one NVR?"

With the right network hardware you could create a VPN between the two stores. Then the cameras in the second store would logically be in the first store network. That would allow you to do what you want. But it may be more hassle than desired. You probably need to backup your NVR in some way also. Maybe a second NVR and cloud backup would be the better choice. That way you get backup from both NVRs.

Solution
Jul 27, 2018
So an NVR is ABSOLUTELY Required? And that's what I was thinking as well; But if we want cheap, we'll get cheap.
I Just want to make sure that's the ONLY way before I go out and spend money on another NVR.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Those cameras need to talk to something local.
NVR, possibly a router...my Qnap NAS box could serve as the NVR...

Right now, they're just sitting there, talking to nothing.